Chapter 36

Seven-thirty, Left Bank.

When Yun Jin and Lu Lu reached punctually, they found Cheng Zheng already seated. He had changed into a gray-white striped silk shirt and black tweed trousers. It was simple yet stylish and his outfit accentuated his good looks. The trio browsed the menu and ordered dishes while having a casual conversation.

Yun Jin was glad for Lu Lu's presence because the lively chatterbox single-handedly generated most of the conversation at the table. In fact, she was talking animatedly and laughing at her own jokes. The atmosphere was not at all dull. Cheng Zheng would occasionally respond good-naturedly while Yun Jin simply smiled and kept silent throughout.

The dishes had just been served when Cheng Zheng received a call so he excused himself. When he eventually returned, he had an odd expression as he asked "I'm sorry ladies but would you mind if my girlfriend joins us?"

"Not at all! It would be very nice to meet her." Lu Lu appeared enthusiastic and was determined to battle her romantic foe. On the other hand, Yun Jin had no reaction.

At her reply Cheng Zheng walked off once again while clutching his handphone closely to his ear. He spoke in deep concentration and after some ten minutes, he disappeared only to return with his girlfriend.

Cheng Zheng's current lover was Zheng Xiao Tong. It wasn't Yun Jin's first time meeting her; they had a few run-ins in their neighbourhood and they had always politely acknowledged the other in such situations. As for Lu Lu, this was her first encounter. After meeting the lady in question, her morale was quickly deflated. She knew there was no contest.

Zheng Xiao Tong was considerably beautiful – she was petite and her small face was beset with a pair of big, expressive eyes. However, on closer scrutiny, one would note that the eyes lacked liveliness which made her seem rather dull after the revelation. She was also rather timid which made her appear innocent and naïve. It was hard to believe that this same girl had actually graduated from one of the top universities in the nation.

After Cheng Zheng had introduced everyone, Lu Lu tried to make small talk with Zheng Xiao Tong. However, her interest soon waned. Zheng Xiao Tong wasn't stupid in the least; it was just that her mental processing was rather slow and thus she often had a confused expression as she tried to internalise the conversation.

Cheng Zheng was extremely attentive to her needs. When he noticed that Lu Lu was fast losing interest in conversing with Xiao Tong, he began to tell her the happenings of his day right down to the details.

Lu Lu bent her head low and fiddled with her phone. A split second later, Yun Jin felt her purse behind her vibrate. She feared that fishing it out immediately would make it too blatantly obvious so she waited a bit before taking a look. It was indeed from Lu Lu and her message contained only three words: What a waste.

Yun Jin understood what Lu Lu meant and she flashed her a warning glance. At that, Lu Lu bowed her head sheepishly. In all honesty, Yun Jin also came to a similar assessment of Xiao Tong. However, taking her complicated past with Cheng Zheng into consideration, she dared not remark on Zheng Xiao Tong even behind her back. She reminded herself constantly that Zheng Xiao Tong was Cheng Zheng's current lover and it was a choice he had wiilingly made. Since it was none of her business, she shouldn't comment. She could see the two of them speaking in hushed tones out of her peripheral vision but she restrained herself from staring by focusing on eating.

Lu Lu was bored to death. She used her chopsticks and skilfully picked up one of the prawns she ordered. She placed one in her bowl and another in Yun Jin's "Sister Su, do try this."

Yun Jin was unsettled and she wanted to distract herself badly. At Lu Lu's sweet gesture, she wiped her hands clean on the wet napkins before making a move to shell the prawns. She was just about to start when Cheng Zheng said abruptly "She doesn't eat that."