Chapter 35

Yun Jin lay on her bed for a long time. Sleep eluded her. She tossed and turned every once in a while but she couldn't find a good sleeping position. Maybe she ought to purchase an orthopedic bed. Or maybe, she ought to find a more dependable set of shoulders. But meeting that pair of shoulders was up to fate. At the end of the day, it was more practical to change the bedding.

She had never thought there would come this day when they lived in the same block once again much less bump into each other and speak in a roundabout manner. It was the first time he was within touching distance in four years although he was no longer hers.

He had changed. He was still just as handsome but the boy who had once been impulsive and blunt had now morphed into an aloof, mature man. Only a few of his habitual tics remained to remind her of his former self.

He was within reaching distance. Every single pore on her body came alive at that realization and they screamed and desired and pined for him! She felt such a disgrace for wanting him so badly. Was it because she was tired of feeling lonely or was it because he was him?

He hadn't been truthful. In the past, whenever he lied, he never looked her face-on. It had already been so many years of non-contact, why did he go through all that trouble to upset her? Yun Jin couldn't guess what was on his mind and was even more clueless as to what she intended to do about him and this weird predicament. She decided it best to adopt a wait-and-see approach.

In the subsequent days, Yun Jin tried her best to avoid him. Although they were neighbours, they were not living across the same hallway – she lived on the 12th and he on the 18th floor. Since she endeavoured to avoid him at all costs, there was an even smaller likelihood of a direct encounter.

He had regular working hours. Sometimes she would already be in the safety of her home when she would hear the punctual screeching of tires. Every time this happened, she couldn't help but peer down from behind her lacey curtain. Sometimes he would be with the girl but mostly he was alone.

There had also been occasions when their paths had crossed in the public setting. He would only greet her politely. There was even once when Yun Jin came home particularly late, she bumped into him and the girlfriend. Without skipping a beat, he had introduced the both of them but he deftly avoided a sticky situation by stating she was his senior high classmate instead of his ex-girlfriend.

Since he acted so calmly and indifferently to her presence, Yun Jin decided it would be incredibly petty of herself if she were to distance herself. Hence, she decided to go with the flow as well by pretending he was merely a friend whom she lost contact with. She reasoned that if she maintained a suitable distance, there was no fear of being hurt by him.

Early one morning, Yun Jin prepared to head to work as she had done countless times. She was just reversing from her parking lot when she saw Cheng Zheng gesturing at her.

She wound her window down and asked "Good morning. Can I help you?"

"Is your company over at Tian He? I have some matters to see to there and my car's giving me trouble. Would it be convenient to give me a lift?" Cheng Zheng asked politely.

Yun Jin mulled over his request as she studied him carefully. She wasn't sure he was telling the truth.

"Forget it. I'll just hail a cab on the main road instead since it's not convenient for you." He sensed her discomfort from her non-reply and didn't want to pressure her.

"It's no problem. Hop on." Yun Jin didn't want to appear as if she was holding onto grudges.

When Cheng Zheng got into the front seat, she was immediately hit with a familiar whiff of aftershave.