Hope

*3rd POV*

Riley slowly felt her eyelids open but then closed back up after facing a bright light that came from her window. 

She winced as her whole body was in pain even just from waking up. 

Then she remembered last night. 

She then looked down at her arms immediately regretting it afterwards. 

She groaned as her stomach rumbled realizing that she hasn't really eaten much since yesterday morning at Karoline's. 

Karoline...

Her eyes started to blur with tears as she thought of her friend. 

Her only friend. 

She felt so bad for leaving her behind but she couldn't have her problems put her and her mother in danger.

But It was too late. 

Her mom probably already has a neck infection from that knife. 

"RILEY!" 

Riley's mother called for her as she shuttered. 

"Y-Yes, mom?" She replied back straight away. 

If she even dared taking three seconds or longer to reply, Christina would come marching in with a belt and beat her to death.

"I need you to come here and wash the dishes then fold the laundry!" Christina demanded. 

Riley quietly sighed before replying with an 'okay' and went to her door but then realized. 

It was locked. 

She facepalmed before calling out to her mother. 

"Mom!"

"WHAT?!" 

"T-The door is locked. C-can you please unlock it for me." 

"Why don't you unlock it yourself!? Since you managed to unlock it last time!" 

Riley pouted as she looked around her room for some bobby-pins. But there was none so she called out for her mom again. 

"Uh, mom! I don't have any bobby-pins there all gone!" 

"Oh yeah, I forgot to tell you that I either threw them all away or used them...then threw them all away." 

Riley bit her lip before hesitantly speaking again.

"Then how am I supposed to get out and do my chores?" 

"Figure it out!" Christina yelled before Riley was met with only silence. 

Riley backed away from the door before going back to her bed and laying there helplessly. 

"Well," She sighed. "Might as well get beat again." 

-------------------

After earning a few more marks and bruises from her mother for not being smart enough to figure out how to open a locked door, Riley sat on her bed looking at her bruised arms and legs in disgust. 

"Great, I'm even more hideous than before." She growled to herself before hot tears streamed down her face. 

She felt like wiping them away but she didn't. The tears showed how much she was hurting and how her heart was growing weak day by day. 

But it's not like anyone would care...

Right?

Before more of her useless thoughts took over, there was a sound of the doorbell.