Chapter 35 Matimba

I was sitting in May's chair in our house's infirmary. She had known how to calm me down when I was scared, and I wished she were there with me in that moment. I wanted May with me because Ben hadn't returned. I knew I should have gone with him. Max walked into the room.

"Have you seen Kimberly?" He asked.

"She went to look for May. Why?" I asked in reply.

He lifted a box out of his sweatshirt pocket. There was anxiety on his face.

"This," he said looking down, "This was for Amillia. I wanted to ask Kimberly for her blessing . I want to marry her daughter," he kept looking down.

"Oh," I sat there still thinking long and hard.

"I told you this before, Matimba," Max looked at me with worry on his face, "Is something wrong?"

I looked at him with a matching amount of worry on my face.

"Ben hasn't returned yet. I'm really worried about him," I replied.

"I'm so sorry, Matimba. I had no idea," Max held the box fidgeting with it. I smiled.

"Let me see it," I stated reaching for the box. He handed it to me, and I looked at the ring.

"It took me a while, but I finally found her ring size. I had to search many jewelry stores when I went on patrols, but I have finally done it!" He said with enthusiasm.

"I'm happy for you, Max," I went back to looking down. Max side-hugged me.

"I hope you'll be okay. Thank you, Matimba. Do you have any idea when they'll be back?" Max sat up and looked at me for answers.

"No, I'm sorry," I replied.

Ben where are you?