Chapter 42 Arica

Amillia woke me up this morning. Today was the day of May's funeral. As I was walking down the hall, I heard a noise from Ben's room. I thought he must've been home. As I opened the door, what I saw before me was awful. I couldn't breathe for a moment. Matimba was cutting deep into her arm mumbling and sobbing. I couldn't move. It took a moment to register what I should do. I couldn't lose another friend, not so soon after May. I grabbed some towels from Ben's bathroom, wrapping them around Matimba's arms.

I began to repeat the words, "You'll be okay," as if it were going to convince myself that Matimba would be fine.

After making sure that I was applying pressure, I began to scream for Cole. No one payed attention. This past week I have screamed for many of my family members. I was having visions of them dying. Just like May, at the hands of my, oh so loving, aunt Nicole. Cole came flying into the room. His eyes were ablaze. 

"Arica?" he looked around the room landing his eyes on me finally. He rushed forward.

"We need to get her to May's office, now!" he said.

I was cleaning up. There were three hours until May's funeral. My dad, Cole, helped mt Matimba in my bed, so I could keep an eye on her. I walked out of my bathroom drying my hair from my shower. Matimba begun to stir. Suddenly, she awoke with a start.

"Did I miss the funeral!" she said.

"No, but I don't think you should go... You tried to kill yourself," I said looking at Matimba.

"What?" the color in her face drained, "No, I- I have to go," she said looking frantic. 

"Matimba, how much can you take before you break down again? I don't want to lose you too!" I said.

"And this is my closure for May! Do you really want to deprive me of that?" she then began to yell.

"Alright, fine, you've made your point, but you will sit with me, ok?" I said sternly.

"I can agree with that," Matimba said looking down, "I could use the support."

I smiled lightly, "Now, Matimba, you should take a shower."

Matimba kind of made a snorting sound, "Okay," she said reluctantly getting up and going to the bathroom while I continued to get ready for the funeral.