On The Run

John Laurens was sitting at his computer, playing mindless games, when his dad slammed open the door to the office angrily. John looked up at him, confused as to why he seemed pissed. "Hey dad, what's up?" He tried sounding like he wasn't scared that his dad was so angry, not really succeeding.

"Would you mind explaining why I found this-" He pulled a transgender flag out from behind his back. John felt his stomach drop, knowing where this was going. "-In your closet, Jackie?!" John winced at the use of his dead name.

"Well..." He tried starting out, his throat feeling dry like a desert. "I'm not Jackie... I'm John... and I'm your son?" What he was saying sounded like it was a question as if he was unsure of the words he was saying.

John's father looked enraged at John's comment. "Get out of this house. I won't have someone like you living under my roof." Henry Laurens' tone was cold and emotionless. John merely nodded and walked past his da- Henry Laurens, snatching his pride flag from him as he walked past him. He immediately ran up to his old room. As he walked towards the door he pulled out an ancient flip phone and called someone.

"Thomas, he found my flag...

"We have to leave tonight, get your bags packed in the car and come round to the Starbucks by my house.

"No, you cannot just pick me up from my house.

"He kicked me out...

"Yeah... Tell Lafayette to pack up as well. Text your boyfriend to get his ass headed to New York as well.

"Yes, we're going to my boyfriend's state.

"Look, it's safer if we all go up to meet him in New York.

"I'll tell Burr to get the apartment ready for five more people.

"Yes five, my sister is most likely coming.

"...You don't know Burr.

"Okay. Yeah, bye. Ew, that's gay dude-"

John hung up, laughing slightly at his friend. Throughout the course of the call, he had been gathering his prepackaged suitcase, two duffel bags, a backpack, and a purse. Slightly stumbling over the weight of all his things, he stumbled out of his room and then walked to his sister, Martha's, room. He set down one of his duffel bags and knocked on the door. A groggy eleven year old opened the door, glaring up at John, the one who had dared disturb her precious slumber.

"What do you want John?" She yawned, her glare never once leaving her brother.

"Da- Henry Senior found my transgender flag. He kicked me out, Patsy..." John mumbled the last part, averting his gaze to the ground. Martha's eyes widened as she processed what her brother had just said before she leaped onto him and tackled him in a tight bear hug.

"I'm so sorry John..." John smiled at his sister's affection, hugging her back with just as much energy.

"I just came to say bye... if you're coming with me and Thomas, now is your last chance..."

~Time Skip to Starbucks Because I'm Lazy~

After a mile trek, John and Martha were standing in the parking lot of Starbucks. John scanned the lot, observing the few cars there. After twenty seconds he finally spotted the beat-up pickup truck he, Thomas, and Lafayette had bought in secret. He grabbed his little sister's hand and ran towards the pickup truck, not minding the weight of his countless bags. They stopped running once they reached the truck, John immediately dumping all of his bags into the bed of the truck, Martha following his lead.

With a grin, John walked up to the passenger window and knocked on it. He heard a screech from inside and loud laughter before the window rolled down, revealing an angry looking Frenchman. John laughed at his expression, earning himself a harsh glare from Lafayette.