Chapter 17: The Jealous Type

The Next Day

"Hello?" Danielle had asked on the other line. I'd just called her and she was just now picking up.

"Aye lil mama, we gon' go to the carnival together tomorrow to get that thick ass of yours out of the house" I said, getting right to the point. Danielle chuckled that cute laugh of hers.

"That's nice of you boy, but I'm goin' with my friend cliff."

At those words, I pulled my phone away from my ear and shot a grimace at it as if my phone was Danielle's face, then put it back in place and continued to speak. "Who the hell is Cliff?"

"My friend" She answered simply.

"You trippin'...Cliff ain't even a real name" I said. I couldn't help but feel a little bit of something that I never, ever felt before... jealousy. She was going with some guy and wanted to be alone... I think I dread the thought of her possibly liking this guy and he liking her back. This girl is starting to get me feelin' things I'd never admit to feeling...maybe I really do like her. Shit.

"You can't talk, August is a month" She said through a laugh. I playfully rolled my eyes, even though she couldn't see it.

"Danielle's a white girl name" I shot back.

"No it's not" She defended.

"Whatever lil mama, I'll t-'"

"Whoa whoa whoa" she cut me off. "What's with this new nickname you keep callin' me?"

We laughed in unison before I ignored her question and instead said, "I'll talk to you later."

"Whatever" She said jokingly. "Bye, love you Aug"

"Love you too Lil Mama" I replied with a smirk before hanging up.

I might of hid how I felt about her going to the carnival with this "Cliff" guy, but on the inside, I hate the idea... holy fuck, I actually care a lot about this girl, I fucking want her and I don't want anybody else to have her.

And I'm going to do something about it.

Danielle's POV

The Next Day

I sighed as I checked out myself through my full-body mirror, soaking in my outfit, face, and hair. This was the first time in a while that I've been able to look at myself in the mirror knowing I looked just like my sister. This was also the first time I'd put effort into my looks since the day Carmen died... before her death, I used to dress up and make sure I looked good all the time. But lately I've just been fine with wearing a simple T-Shirt and jeans with a messy bun and a nude face.

Today, I actually care about my looks. If I'm gonna get out of the house and go to this fun little event with Cliff, I might as well be in spirit and look nice. And I do; everything looks good on me. I just wish Carmen were here to say "ooo you look good" or "damn girl, I might just have to fuck my own twin" like she'd always do on the days where I looked really cute or hot. Today was a little mixture of both.

I was in the midst of sliding on some gladiator sandals when Cliff sent me the text that notified me that he was here. Sliding my purse over my shoulder, I headed out the door, hoping that I could go this one night having a lack of thoughts about the problem's I've been facing lately. I wanna be happy, be positive, and move forward. And that's what I'm striving to do.

"Lookin' good shawty" Cliff complimented as I slid into the car. "I ain't ever seen you wearin' makeup."

"Thanks, I wear it all the time, just not lately" I informed, pulling my seatbelt and buckling it in before he began driving off. I rested my head against the window and looked out of it. The sun outside was just beginning to set and the sky was just starting to having a light-pink tint to it that reminded me of cotton candy. I watched it graze by as we drove and dove into conversation.