Chapter 21- One Bad Night

~Marina's POV~
It's all dark. I'm in some kind of... alleyway? Pearl's in front of me. She's just staring at me with a blank expression.Suddenly, a person in a black hoodie comes behind Pearl. I try to yell at her to run away, but no sound comes out. She gives me a soft smile before a knife is thrusted through her chest and she goes limp. Slowly, the light in her eyes dims and she falls to the ground. I try to run over there, but I can't move. I can't make a sound or move at all. All I can do is watch in agony. Pearl.. oh Pearl. I can't.... I..I ..should.. have.. stopped them... it's my fault... for her death.. I want to cry, run, do anything but I'm frozen. The stranger looks at me, smiles, and then leaves. Looking at Pearl's empty eyes and bloodied body.. It makes me feel a pain worse than anything I've ever felt before. Nothing like the pain I felt as when she fought with me or cheated on me. Compared to my pain now, my old pain is smaller than a grain of sand. Looking at her body this way, she's... so.. small... I feel like I'm ripping at the seams but I still can't move. Make.. it.. STOP! MAKE IT STOP! PLEASE NO THIS ISNT REAL! STOP IT! STOP IT! GOD,NO.. PLEASE GOD! I WILL DO ANYTHING!! IT..SHOULD... HAVE...been ... me.....instead.
Please...give....her....back.

I jolt up sweating and breathing heavily.
" PEARL?!? PEARL?!?" I look to my side and see that Pearl isn't there. No.. this can't be..
I see a small figure bolt up from the floor.
" MARINA WHAT IS IT?? ITS THE MIDDLE IF THE NIGHT!??"
I've never been so relieved. SHE'S ALIVE!! HALLELUJAH! I burst into tears and hug her.
"YOU'RE ALIVE!!! THANK GOD!! I don't know what I would do without you..."
Pearl looks at me confused but hugs me back.
" Bad dream?"
"More..like my worst nightmare." I choke out in between my sobs.
" Do you want to talk about it??"
She says, softly in a concerned tone.
I sniff. "yeah.. I do."
As I retell my nightmare, Pearl looks at me in a shocked manner.
When I'm done she hugs me tightly while I start crying again.
"It's okay.. I'm alive. I'm here for you."
"I know.. it just felt so real.."
" I'm right here, and I'll never leave, ever."
"Promise?" I whimper.
"I swear on my life."
I finally start to breathe normally again but I'm still haunted by the what-ifs. What if that actually happened? Would I be able to protect her? Or would I stay frozen, unable to move or speak. I shake my head, I need to calm down.
" Ready to go back to sleep now?" Pearl asks hesitantly.
" No.. not yet at least."
"Ah..okay. Do you want me to get you something to make you feel better?"
I sniffle. " Yeah, sure."
She gets off of the bed and heads downstairs. When I'm alone, it's so quiet. I can hear my rushing heartbeat. A minute later Pearl returns with a bowl of mint chocolate chip ice cream with a spoon. Ahh my favorite ice cream.
" My favorite, thanks Pearlie." I whisper. I can feel myself smiling and I feel.. a little better.
" Who can forget your favorite ice cream flavor when ice cream is all you eat?"
"Hey!"
"It's true."She points out.
The ice cream makes me feel better, it always does.
"Marina it looks like you got some ice cream on your face!"
"What? Where?" I question.
Pearl comes closer and licks my cheek.
"What was that for?!"
"Just needed to clean your face." She smirks at me.
"Wow of course."
"Okay well I'm tired and I want to go back to slee-"
"NO! I don't want to stay awake alone.. I'm scared.." I look at Pearl and my eyes tear up.
"I'm not going to die, but I'll stay up for you."
I smile and Pearl's arms quickly wrap around me.
"It's 4 AM. What are we supposed to do if we aren't sleeping?" Pearl questions.
"I- Umm.."
"See? Got you there. How about we both try to fall asleep. I'll cuddle with you so you know that I'm still here and that I'm not dead."
"Fine."
We both lay down and Pearl picks up her phone and the sound of what appears to be a music box version of color pulse plays from the speakers. She puts her phone on the nightstand beside her, turns back around and she wraps her arms around my waist.
"You'll be able to fall asleep. Nothing will happen. Trust me, Mar." Her finger tips trace my tentacles.
The relaxing music fills my ears and my body and mind start to calm down.
I kiss Pearl's hand, "Thank you. I love you, Pearlie."
She kisses the back of my neck in return.
"Sweet dreams."
I smile and drift to sleep.

The sun escapes from the curtains and heats up my skin.
I stretch and turn to my side. I notice that Pearl isn't beside me.
"PEARL?!" I yell.
No reply.
"PEARL!!!!!" I scream loudly.
Still no reply.
Oh my god.
"PEARLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!" I scream even louder. So much louder that all of inkopolis can hear me.
She isn't here..
I notice a note is left on the nightstand.
"Hope you can survive with your precious girlfriend being dead! :)" it reads.
I also see blood all over the bed sheets, where Pearl was once peacefully sleeping. A knife is also there, covered with blood.
No. I thought I just woke up from this dream.. This can't be real..
An ocean of tears fall from my eyes.
I thought it was over. There's not even a reason to live anymore if this is real..
I'm going to be with Pearl.
I need to.
I grab the knife that she was apparently stabbed with.
My hand directs the object close to my chest.
Pearl.. I'm coming.
I thrust the knife inside of my chest several times until I fall to the floor.
Blood escapes my body.
I'm too weak to do anything.
My breathing slows down and my heart beats decrease.
My vision blurs and goes blank.
I'm gone.

My eyes open and I see light.
I see Pearl.
"PEARL! IM HERE! I SEE YOU! WE'RE IN HEAVEN NOW!" I hug her.
"Marina, we're in bed. Not heaven."
"D-did I dream again?"
"It appears that you did."
"Okay.. so you died again and I killed myself to be with you.." I explain.
"What?! I'm never letting you sleep again."
"Well I'm glad that it was just a dream.. I never want that to happen.." I start crying.
"No no don't cry!" She hugs me.
"I LOVE YOU PEARL, PLEASE DON'T LEAVE ME!"
"I won't.. I will never."
I have to tell myself that It won't happen.
Pearl wipes away my tears and kisses me.
"I will never leave you. I'm going to give you all of my love. You and only you." She gives me a long, passionate kiss.
"I'll love you forever."