five

max

unfortunately, the trash from the past few weeks had already been taken out to the main dumpster and i was only left with two envelopes. the one i just got and the one i had thrown into my room after harvey brought up one of the letters that one day. i was only missing one envelope, but i'm guessing it was long gone by now.
but then i remembered, mom didn't necessarily throw away the envelopes right away incase she needed them for something important.
i hurried into the laundry room and stood up on the step stool. she kept a box around here somewhere. i dug around until i found the box in one of the far shelves. i pulled it down and opened it up. a bunch of envelopes spilled out as soon as the lid came off. most of them were from our birthday cards so i was hopeful.
i dug through the box searching for the familiar envelope that appeared in our mailbox every few weeks. i finally find a pastel blue envelope underneath the relatives envelopes. i pull it out and it still smells like roses like the first day i pulled it from the mailbox. i quickly flip it over and search for any clues. i see a small number underneath the stamp and i smile to myself. i quickly put the box back and hurry back into the kitchen.
i'm going so fast i practically run into someone who was in the kitchen too.
"woah sorry max.." aislinn says once we collide
"sorry.." i mumble
she glances at the envelopes and letter on the counter and begins to reach for the letter.
"what's all this?" she asks with the letter in her hand
i grab for it and harshly pull it from her hands.
"just cards from..family.." i lie
"oh..okay..sorry.." she says while giving me a doubtful look
"mhmm..i'll be back." i say
i collect all the stuff on the counter and hurry up to our bedroom. i quickly close the door and place all of the stuff onto the floor. i sigh.
as much as i love aislinn, i don't wanna tell her about the letters. at least not yet. i haven't even told harvey yet. i pull out the box and carefully place the letter and envelope in the box to go with the other letters i have in there. i stuff the box away just as i hear a small tap on the door. i turn around and stare at it, sort of frozen in place. there's another knock. i get up and slowly pull open the door.

oof very short chapter my bad but i guess that's the point of the story, short chapters :p
any guesses on who this mystery girl is and who's at their bedroom door?
vote, comment, and share! :D