eight

max

i guess i did screw things up with harvey. he's barely acknowledged me throughout the house and he doesn't speak to me. i can tell our parents are getting worried because they're used to the pointless bickering and our endless conversations and our laughter. it's all gone now. we haven't done any live streams in about three weeks, we're inactive on social media and i haven't received any more letters.
mom enters the living room, interrupting my train of thoughts. she glances over at me and i can tell her eyes search for harvey to see if he's near but he isn't.
"max, can i have a word with you?" she asks
i glance up at her and raise one of my eyebrows.
"i guess so?.." i say slowly
she sits down on the couch next to me, causing me to move over so there's room. she looks at me dead in the eye which makes me slightly uncomfortable.
"max, is there something going on between you and harvey? i haven't seen you two speak a word to each other and there hasn't been any singing or live streams going on around here." she says
they don't know about the fight, more specifically the details of it. or the letters. if i say the truth about the letters and everything, my mom would somehow find a way to cut all communication and change our address. but i don't know what lie i would tell her without getting into even more trouble..
"max." mom calls
i look up as she stares at me, concerned for my well being.
"sorry..we just had a fight that's all. you know like all siblings do.." i say nervously and chuckle
"but this has lasted just short of three weeks. i've never seen you two not speak for more than 5 hours." she says
"it's kinda personal mom. but we'll work things out, i promise you." i say trying to be reassuring
she narrows her eyes slightly at me but nods in understanding.
"okay. if this doesn't clear up soon, i'm intervening." she says and gives me one of those looks
i nod quickly. she smiles slightly and returns back to her business. i breathe out, relived i didn't have to state the truth about what's going on.
i hear the front door open and close and footsteps coming towards the living room. as i glance up harvey comes through the doorway with an opened pastel orange envelope in his hand. my eyes slightly widen.
"our room, now." he says sharply
i slowly put my phone down and stand up. he grabs my wrist and drags me through the house to the stairs.
"what is that?" i ask
"i don't know max, you tell me." he says in an annoyed tone
he practically throws me into our room and shuts the door behind us and throws the letter onto the floor and looks up at me. my heart pounds like a racehorse.

oof what do you think will happen?
think the envelope is from "her"?
vote, comment, and share! :)