Filling the Hole

The few days before Saturday passed slowly, as I was feeling very anxious about the "not really a date" date. Today's the day I say to myself as I get up Saturday morning. I don't work today so I'm able to get some cleaning done and work on a song I had been working on for some time. At 6pm I decide to get ready for the movie. I'm not sure what to wear because, of course, I want Jake's attention but I don't want to upset Christa.

I settle on my signature outfit: a Ramones shirt and jeans that are ripped a little too much with my dirty converse. Whatever I think as I walk out the door to meet my uber driver. "Cool shirt!" Says the driver as he pulls out of the driveway, "you going to a show?"

"I wish. I'm off to third wheel a date," I say.

"Damn, good luck," laughs the driver.

I get out of the car at the theater, thank the driver, and walk to a bench to wait. "There you are!" It's Jake.

"Oh, hi," I say as I give him an awkward hug. "How are you? Did you work today?"

"Nope, I went to look at pedals today with my brothers."

"Guitar pedals?" I ask, interested.

"Yep! My brother let me borrow his for a while and I spilled beer on it. Do you play?" He asks. Ugh, he keeps getting more attractive.

"Well yeah, who doesn't play guitar these days?" I say. Jake laughs and smiles at me until Christa walks up.

"I see the party started without me. Lex, I wasn't aware you were seeing this movie too," Christa says. I can tell she's disappointed that I'm here.

"I asked her to come, I hope that's cool," says Jake.

"Sure, as long as you sit with me Jake!" Christa says as she grabs Jake's arm. We get our tickets, and unfortunately, the only three seats left in the crowded theater are separate. Two seats together on one side of the room and one alone on the other side. "What are we even seeing?" Christa asks.

"I hope you ladies like zombies!" Jake smiled maliciously.

"No they scare me!" I say.

"I love zombies!" Christa says quickly.

"Well Lex, would you feel better if I sat with you? You'll be fine, right Christa?" Jake takes my arm and quickly shuffles to our seats without letting Christa answer. If she wasn't before, I know she's mad now.

***

After the movie, Jake and I look for Christa but she's gone. I take out my phone and see a text from her, 'I left. You two have fun.'

"Oh she's just mad because I'm more interested in you than I am in her," Jake says, annoyed.

"Yeah I know. Wait, what?" I'm shocked.

"If you couldn't tell, I would've much rather hung out with you tonight. Need a ride home?" Jake asks calmly.

"Um, yes please," I answer. I'm still feeling anxious as I step back into his Mustang. Does he actually like me? What do I do now?

This time, we don't ride in silence. Jake turns the radio on and a song I had never heard comes on. Jake clearly knows all the worlds so I ask, "What's this?"

"Greta Van Fleet! And guess what, that's me on guitar," he says, looking at me for my reaction.

"You're on the radio? Why do you work at Home & Hardware?!" I'm so confused.

"We're taking a short break from the tour and I didn't want to be bored. Plus, it was really nice meeting you there." As Jake pulls into my driveway and I reach for the door, he puts his hand on mine and says, "go to the park with me tomorrow, there's something I want you to see. I'll be here at 5pm."

I nod, smile, and walk into my house.