Chapter 3

While Zeus and Hades were in their meeting, Poseidon was dealing with the responsibilities of being a ruler, a husband, and a father*. "How can anyone just disappear without a trace?" Poseidon asked Athea as Shea was resting. "I don't know but it does seem like ominous magic is at work," replied Athea. "On an unrelated note, how are the children doing in their lessons?" Poseidon asked his sister. "They are all doing rather well, however Triton does have trouble when it comes to paying attention and listening to instructions and keeping his temper in check rather like a certain brother of mine,*" Athea said as Poseidon stood their rather embarrassed at the fact that his sister had pointed out how much his eldest son took after himself. "I'll talk to him, but Athea its best to be patient after all he is still only a boy," said Poseidon. "I know and I'll try," said Athea.

At that moment Aphrodite rushed into the room in a panic. "Aphrodite what's wrong?" asked Poseidon. "It's Shea," Aphrodite answered. With that Poseidon and Athea went with Aphrodite towards Poseidon and Shea's private chambers where they found Shea slouching and screaming in pain with Lady Rhea holding on to her and trying to calm her down as Poseidon rushed to his wife's side. "Shea what's wrong?" Poseidon asked as some servants entered the room carrying hot water, towels, and scissors. "Poseidon, its time," Shea said indicating to her husband that she was in labor. With that, Poseidon helped his mother get Shea into bed while Aphrodite rushed to get the midwives along with Hera and Persephone and Athea rushed to Mount Olympus to fetch Zeus and Hades.

"Maybe the Oracle is wrong," Zeus said after he had finished reading the prophecy. "Zeus, the Oracle is never wrong in her predictions or in her prophecies. Just admit the fact that your worried about our brother and his family as much as I am," Hades said knowing the fact that like Poseidon and himself Zeus was also a father*. "You know I hate it when your right," Zeus said rather bitterly. At that moment Athea burst into the room to the surprise of both Zeus and Hades. "Athea what is it?" Zeus asked. "You are both needed at Poseidon's palace, Shea has gone into labor," replied Athea. Upon hearing those words Zeus and Hades left Olympus with Athea for their brother's palace.

Once they had arrived in Poseidon's palace, Zeus and Hades waited outside the chamber for any news when Zeus realized what month and what day it was. "Hades, when is Persephone scheduled to spend her yearly six months with Demeter?" Zeus asked Hades upon the realization. "In eight days," answered Hades. "That means that the ides of the third month are only three days away Hades. The prophecy is coming true," Zeus said forlornly as Hades stared at his brother with a shocked and worried look on his face. "Uncle Zeus, Uncle Hades will you tell us a story?" Kymopoleia asked as she and her siblings looked up at both of their uncles. "Alright," Hades said as he and his brother sat down and told their nieces and nephews, along with their own children who had arrived earlier with their mothers, Hera and Persephone, their favorite story.

*I have no idea how anyone can cope with being all three at the same time.

*In other words, like father like son.

*When it comes to Greek mythology Zeus sure has been busy when it comes to having children.