Chapter One: Day In The Life

Y/N's P.O.V.

I was a little different from the rest of the world. Blackout poetry was my escape. It was different from reading or writing. From playing crossword or video games.

I liked it because it gave a new meaning to words otherwise blurred. It showed me how there is always a hidden message waiting to be deciphered.

The angry fist knocking on my door told me my mom had her own message for me. "Open up, you little bitch!"

She barged inside before I could even leave my bed, her round face red as a tomato, hands balled. All the signs indicating what I already knew— she would beat me now.

I would let her since there was no use struggling. I tried it when I was younger, more naive. That resulted in a trip to the hospital with almost all my bones being broken.

They beat me after I recovered for the medical expenses they had to pay. My family, I mean. That was what society wanted me to refer to my mom, grampa, and grandma.

Dad left the parenting train a long time ago.

As my mom closes the safe gap between us and knocks my teeth out of my mouth, me slamming onto the floor, I pretend I'm in a white room again. That is the mental place I visit in situations like this.

It's almost like I leave my body, watching from far away. I'm seeing my head getting bashed against the already broken mirror, pointy shard waiting to pierce my eye.

Why would this be happening to me? Why am I being treated this way for the simple act of being born?

I wish I had an answer.

But I don't have one. Because what could explain this?