The Question

Thank you for reading this story, and I hope you enjoy this chapter!
~~~

Chapter 24

The Question

I awoke to the sound of knocking on my door.

"Rise and shine!" Called a female voice.

Thankfully, I was already out of bed and dressed when the knock sounded on my door.

I strode forward, twisting the handle of my door open and greeted the older elf in front of me.

She was tall, as most elves are, and had long silver hair.

"Follow me." She said in an abrupt yet subtle tone.

I silently followed her down the hall into....the King's room?

Sure enough, the silhouette of the Elven King stood at his balcony, his back to me, as he overlooked the gentle forest and snowfall.

"Thank you Angelia, you may leave us." His voice demanded to the elf who had brought me here.

She curtsied and left, the king still faced the window.

"I assume you are wondering why you are here?" The King questioned, slightly tipping his chin back in my direction.

Yes, that would be a logical assumption.

"Yes, my lord." I simply stated.

He dismissively looked back to the window, "I know."

"Pardon?" I questioned, a bit put off by his arrogance.

He suddenly span around himself and faced me, speaking in a harsh whisper.

"Do you remember what I told you at the Harvest Ball?"

Of course I did.

You are a lovely little jewel, however my dear, where jewels are, a dragon follows. Take heed of that and remember; if ever need a place to go, the halls of Mirkwood are welcome to you....

At the time I thought he was alluding to Agarwaen and her "love" for Legolas.

Now, I was unsure as to what he meant. Was he referring to Legolas all along?

Did he know his son was still heartbroken over that student he was forbidden to love?

Did he know about the stone?

My pulse suddenly picked up as I involuntarily touched the chord around my neck. The stone was concealed in my dress.

I suddenly realized that I didn't know what side the King was on. He could easily take the stone from me.

"Vanàeze? Do you remember?" The King asked again.

"Of course." I replied.

"You are safe here." He said as he walked closer to me, holding his hand in front of him; displaying a silver ring.

My eyes widened as I recognized the ring to be of the same make that Thorin wore. A protector of the stone.

"Thank goodness." I whispered under my breath.

I should have known Galadriel wouldn't have let me go to Mirkwood if the King's intentions were questionable.

Thranduil spoke again, "You are here so that I may teach you and if need be protect you."

"What about my apprenticeship? My training in the guard...and being a potpourri mason?" I questioned hesitantly.

"The title concerning a potpourri mason was created to keep those from knowing what is truly going on here. There is no such thing as a potpourri mason. As for your work in the guard; you may still have some training to endure." He said.