The Answer

Chapter 25

The Answer

Today was the day of the Yule Festival.

I had spoken with Thranduil much over the past few days.

I asked if he was sure he hadn't misunderstood the prophecy....he hadn't. I asked him how much time I had, what would happen when Middle Earth collapsed?

He didn't know, but the council of the brotherhood had determined that Middle Earth didn't have much time; according to Elrond's foretelling.

According to Gandalf, this disruption of balance happened between Middle Earth and Earth, and signaled the awakening of Morgoth, master of Sauron.

(For those of you who don't know, Morgoth/Melkor is really bad. He created Sauron and upon being defeated he was locked away in the dark sky, called the Door of Night into the Void. His return would equal domination over the universe...not just Middle Earth; therefore a catastrophic disruption of the balance...kinda like Thanos in the Marvel realm now that I think about it.)

I knew Morgoth had been locked away, we learned about it the Silmarillion. I wasn't aware that his bonds were weakening and he could soon reach out and destroy both worlds. How did it come to this? Couldn't Gandalf do something?

Yet, all my questions ended up bringing me right back to the original conundrum;

Legolas or Thorin?

It should be an easy answer; Legolas is a traitor, Thorin is a protector...it's a choice of good vs bad, right? It's not like I was caught in a cliché love triangle. Right?

But, what if I misinterpreted the situation?

What if Thorin is secretly a traitor of the stone and Legolas a protector?

Or perhaps the words 'traitor' and 'protector' referred to something else entirely?

This is why I hate riddles.

Thranduil had no guidance for me, other than saying "the will of your heart shall determine the fate of many."

Ugh, elves.

Seriously? Who is stupid enough to proclaim a prophecy saying a teenage girl's heart will determine everyone's fate?

I had asked Thranduil multiple times who declared this prophecy, but he would not say.

As turned the riddle over in my head, I attempted to connect the stone to my choice and myself to the people behind my choice. I tried to over-simplify the situation and then over-complicate things when I couldn't find a clear answer.

So then, I'd just analyze my options.

Legolas. Oh Legolas. Even after I discovered the truth behind his intentions, he still held a place my heart. Was that love or pity?

Yes, all he wanted now was the stone, but I still clung to the belief that he had liked me at first; that we had had something, that there was some decency in his heart. King Thranduil even suggested that much was possible. Those icy blue eyes and honey blonde hair....perhaps if I gave my heart to him, my full love, I could help him? Maybe I could help him overcome his thirst for vengeance and end up keeping the stone safe as well? Perhaps that small change could influence others and change the fate of Middle Earth?

Perhaps...

I sighed, looking out of my glass window.

Carriages of all sorts were riding towards the King's Hall, decorated in honour of Yule Day with white lace, and laden with gifts.