1

_______________

Dear, Ms. Carter,

You have been selected to internship at our magazine.

Congratulations on your success and we hope to have you join us soon.

Please inform us on whether you will be joining us by June 1st.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,

Journal Magazine.

_______________

I kept rereading the email as I waited for my gate to open.

A dream of mine had come true: I was going to be interning at Journal Magazine for the summer.

At this point in time, I had already confirmed my attendance and had bought a plane ticket.

I was currently sitting in one of the lounges at the airport, waiting for the announcement that my flight to New York was boarding.

It all felt so surreal.

I remembered reading the email for the first time. I was in chem class and had to hold back from jumping out of my chair and screaming at the top of my lungs.

That same day, when I got home, I walked to the kitchen where I found my mother already cooking lunch. I told her the big news, seconds after which we both erupted in excited screams.

I'm pretty sure the neighbors were about to report our screaming as a murder happening next door.

Now, three weeks later, after finally graduating high school, I was off to New York, where my dad would be waiting for me at the airport, ready to take me back to my childhood home.

My parents, being divorced, lived in different states, rather far from one another.

I hadn't visited my dad since I left home, instead, he was the one to visit a couple of times. He insisted on visiting as he didn't want me getting on a plane by myself.

"Flight 14473 to New York, now boarding," a voice announced through the intercom. I took that as an instruction to pick up my carry-on luggage and my laptop, and head towards the gate.

The plane ride wasn't too long, around six hours, and despite not having slept right in the past five days, out of excitement, I just couldn't seem to fall asleep.

My excitement overpowered my sleep deprivation, once again not letting me lose the under-eye bags.

Despite it all, I spent the plane ride listening to music and looking out the window.

Four hours later, I was in New York.

As soon as I switched my phone off airplane mode, I got a notification that my dad had tried calling me.

I dialed his number, calling him right back.

"Hey, kiddo,"

"Hey, dad," I greeted, "What's up?"

"I was calling earlier to let you know that I'll be a little late to the airport, there's heavy traffic."

"Okay," I say, "I'll wait for you inside."

"Alright," he says, "See you later."

"Bye," I say as I hang up.

Since I've got time to kill, I might as well revise the rules I've set up for myself.

Rule #1: Focus on the internship.

I need to focus if I want to be a good intern this summer. No distractions!