18

"What do you mean you don't want a big party this year?!" Lola exclaimed, probably loud enough for everyone at the café to hear.

We had agreed on meeting up at the Coffee Club Café after work on Tuesday so that we could discuss Stella's birthday.

"I don't know," Stella shrugged, "I just don't feel like throwing a huge party."

"But it's your eighteenth! And you always say that," Lola complained.

"It's just a birthday," Stella said, clearly not agreeing with Lola's idea.

I looked between the two, landing my gaze on Lola, "Stella's right, you know?" I said to her, "If she doesn't want a huge party then she shouldn't be forced into it."

Stella and Lola were polar opposites when it came to most things. - Stella liked the outdoors, whereas Lola loved staying inside; Lola preferred black coffee, while Stella preferred tea; Stella dressed conservatively, whilst Lola dressed to show more skin - Somehow, they were still best friends.

I think the saying 'opposites attract' worked very well in their friendship. They loved each other no matter what.

"You're right," Lola sighed. "I'm sorry," she turned to Stella with an apologetic look.

Stella gave her a forgiving smile, "I know you want to have a party, Lola," she said, "but maybe for some other occasion, like the fourth of July?"

"That's way too far away," Lola groaned, slumping back in her chair.

"It's less than two weeks away," I say.

"Exactly," Lola says, "too far away."

Stella and I laugh.

"We'll find you some other party," I reassure her, "We promise you won't die from a lack of partying this summer."

"I hope you're right," she laughed. "Anyways," she started, "since we aren't having a huge party, what do you want to do for your birthday, Stel?"

"I'm not sure," she said, "something small, like a get-together."

"Any ideas where we could have it?" I ask her.

"That's what I'm having trouble figuring out," she said, frowning.

"I may have a suggestion," Lola perked up, sitting up in her chair.

"We are not sneaking into a club," I say.

"I wasn't going to suggest that," Lola rolls her eyes. "I have other good ideas, you know."

"Okay," Stella says, a little skeptically, "what is it?"

"The carnival," Lola says. "We could all go to the carnival."

Stella and I look at each other, a little surprised at her idea, "That's actually not a bad idea," Stella says.

Lola sips from her iced coffee proudly, "I told you."

"Alright, so, the carnival," I clap my hands together, "that means we have food, dessert, and practically the whole day planned, not much else we need to do."

"We do have to make the guest list though," Stella says.

"Okay," Lola says, "how many people do you plan on inviting?"

"Hmm," Stella thought, "Around fifteen people, most probably."

"Great," I say, pulling out my phone to write a list. "Who exactly?"

"Well, besides us three, my brother will be there," Stella says, "and I'm pretty sure his girlfriend will be in town this weekend as well. I'll check to see for sure."