9

Lola had texted about an hour ago, informing me that she was leaving with Michael.

Half an hour earlier, Luke had suggested walking Stella home. She had previously been panicking about missing her curfew and the consequences that followed. "I'll be grounded all summer!" she had said.

That left me alone with Calum at his party. Of course we weren't alone-alone, but without my two best friends, I wasn't exactly the most social person ever.

I had a later curfew than Stella, which was surprising since my dad was the chief of police, as well as one of the strictest people I knew. But I wasn't about to argue.

It was currently one am. My curfew being at one thirty, I decided to change back into my heels and start walking home, judging from the fact that I lived further away from Calum's house.

"Calum," I walked up to the bar. He was currently conversing with two guys from school. As soon as I said his name he turned his attention to me, waiting for me to continue my sentence. "I'm leaving," I say, handing him back his sister's flip-flops, which he had lent me earlier.

"So soon?" he asks, his eyebrows furrowing.

"I have to," I shrug, "My curfew is soon."

He nods, showing understanding. "Is someone picking you up?"

"No," I say, "I'm walking."

"Devin," he chuckles, "It's not safe. I can drive you."

"No, don't," I object, "It's your party."

"So?"

"Calum," I look at him seriously. "Seriously, I'll walk. You're the host. You should be here."

"I'm not letting you walk home by yourself at this time of night," he says.

"It's completely fine," I assure him, "I've got my dad on speed dial if anything happens."

"If I drive you, there's an even lesser chance of something happening," he urges. "Plus, what kind of host would I be if I let you walk home by yourself?"

"A good host that entertains their other guests?"

"I'm not letting you walk home," he concludes. Why is he so stubborn?

"What if I promise to text you once I get home?" I suggest.

"Still no."

I sigh. "Fine, whatever," I say, "but don't come crying to me when this party gets out of control once you leave."

He rolls his eyes playfully. "I'll just go grab my keys," he says before walking off.

I wait for him by the front door, and soon he appears, keys in hand.

"Ready to go?" he asks.

I only nod before he opens the front door and lets me walk out first.

In the driveway, a motorcycle is parked. Something I hadn't noticed when walking up to the house earlier in the night.

The markings say it's a Harley Davidson. Something I had always wanted.

"Woah," I exclaim, "is this yours?"

"Yeah," he says, "I got it for my birthday."

"It's so cool," I say, walking up to the bike and examining the details.

Calum watches me from a distance, smiling at me. "I could give you a ride sometime?" he suggests.

"That'd be amazing," I say in an overly-excited tone. I choose to ignore the double meaning in his sentence.