6

"Sorry to interrupt what seems to be a very... um... interesting story, but... uh... can I take your orders?" Luke asks.

All three of us looked up at him. "Luke!" I exclaim, happy to see a familiar face, "Hi! It's so nice to see you again." I stand up.

"Devin?" Luke looks at me. "Hey!" he hugs me, "Since when are you back in town?"

"Since last night," I tell him. "How've you been? I didn't know you were working here."

"I'm good," he answers, "Yeah, this is my summer job."

"Good to know," I nod. "You remember my two best friends, right? You met them at my sixteenth birthday party."

"Yeah," he nods, "Lola and Stella," his eyes linger on Stella, "Nice to see you both again."

"Well you do see us every day," Stella laughs nervously.

"Yeah, we do come here often," Lola says.

"Stella," Luke looks at her, "when are you starting work here?"

"Monday," she answers.

"Awesome," Luke smiles, "I'll see you Monday," he walks off nervously, only to return a few seconds later. "I forgot to uh..." he drags on, "take your orders." He smiles sheepishly.

"Right," I say, "I'll have an iced coffee."

"I'll have a dark chocolate macchiato," Lola says.

"Great," Luke says as he writes our orders down. "Stella, you're usual?" he looks up at her.

"Yeah," Stella answers nervously, "yes, thanks," she smiles at him. Luke returns her smile before walking off, somehow managing to bump into an empty table in the process.

"I hate to interrupt Lola's juicy story," I say, "but Stella, what was that?"

"What was what?" she asks innocently, acting as if she doesn't know what I'm talking about.

"You and Luke," I clarify, "what was that? You're always so confident and talkative around boys."

"I'm talkative around Luke," she argues.

"You also stutter a lot around him," Lola pipes in. "She has a crush on him," she clarifies.

"I do not!" Stella argues.

"It's kind of obvious," I shrug.

"So what if I do?" she asked, "It's not like he likes me back."

"It kinda looked like he does," I say, "I mean, he almost forgot to take our orders because he was talking to you."

"But Luke is always awkward and forgetful," she argues.

"See," Lola shoves Stella's shoulder with her fist, "he's perfect for you."

"Lola," Stella warns, "Ashton would kill me."

"How?" I ask, "He's at college."

"He's coming home in less than a month," Stella explains.

"Perfect!" Lola exclaims, "You have just enough time to lose your virginity."

"I am NOT doing that," Stella deadpans.

"I don't know, Stel," Lola looks behind us at Luke, currently standing by the counter inside. "I wouldn't mind climbing that like a tree."

"Shut up," Stella says, "You already did that to Michael, you can't have everybody." Stella seems annoyed, glaring at Lola.

"I'm kidding, I'm kidding," Lola defends herself, "He's all yours."

"It doesn't matter," Stella sighs, "I can't be seen with my brother's best friend."