24

...I remember him walking up to my locker one day, a few days before summer break, right as we were finishing our freshman year. "Babe, guess what!" he had walked up with such enthusiasm, I thought he was there to brag about some good exam results. "They gave us condoms in Sex Ed today," he paused, looking at my expression, which was a little confused. He laughed, "We should have sex."

I didn't want to believe what he had just said, but those were the exact words that came out of his mouth. Me being fifteen at the time, I got a little worried.

Cole clearly noticed and tried to seal the deal, "C'mon babe, it's nothing to worry about. Everyone does it, even your slutty friend Lola."

That's when I got angry. "She's not a slut," I'd said to him.

"She sleeps around," he said. "She's a slut. Don't be mad at me for telling the truth."

"Don't call her that," I warned him.

That's when Cole got angry, "So you can dress up in slutty underwear for me and parade around my room like Lola does with multiple guys, but you won't have sex with me? Make up your mind, Devin, you can't be a slut like Lola and a prude like Stella. Pick one." He walked off after that comment, clearly frustrated.

I didn't tell my best friends what he had said, I didn't want them to hate him because I couldn't bring myself to do it at the time.

Things started getting worse after that day. He'd harass me with rude comments and flirt with other girls in front of me. When we fought afterwards, he would say he only did it as a joke, and when I would tell him it wasn't fair to me, he'd say those other girls would probably give it to him, unlike me.

I was terrified of losing him, which was bad in itself. I should have given up a long time ago, but at the time I thought I'd loved him, so I convinced myself he was acting out because he loved me and wanted to have sex with me and make me feel good.

"Did you love him?" Calum interrupts me.

"No," I answer. "But I didn't know that at the time."

Things got significantly worse each time we saw each other, and I still hadn't told anybody. I finally convinced myself it was okay to have sex with him, to keep him, of course.

So I called him and told him I was ready. We decided on a date when his parents were out of town. I came over to his house that night, and we did it, we had sex. It wasn't any bit pleasurable for me, but I forced myself to like it, all for Cole's sake.

He seemed to be having the time of his life, because of which we started having sex regularly. The pain eventually went away, but I never got to my climax. He was quick to finish and in all honesty, he wasn't good at it, but I'd never tell him that.

I told Lola and Stella that we were having sex and they were both happy for me, thinking it was a good thing, which of course they thought because they didn't know Cole for the monster he truly was.

Once we started having sex regularly, he started being nicer, sweeter, a better boyfriend. This lasted for most of sophomore year, up until the party at Gwen's house.

"Do you remember that party?" I ask Calum.

"Gwen's end-of-the-school-year party?" he asks me.

"Yeah."

"It was the first time I ever got drunk," he admits. "I remember it to an extent."

I nod before continuing the story.

We arrived around nine and were having an amazing time. All of us, Stella, Lola, Cole, his best friend Andrew, and I, we were all having a good time.