26

After dinner, Cole and I were sent upstairs to my room, as if we were back in middle school and that was something teenagers did.

The problem was, neither of us could complain about it. I was way too respectful of his parents and way too shy to say anything, as it might bring up further questioning. Cole, on the other hand, didn't seem to mind it happening.

He trailed behind me up the stairs, and moments later we were in my room. Cole found the situation comfortable enough so to sit on my bed. Once he did, I sat on my desk chair, trying to stay as far away from him as possible.

He looked around my room, to my surprise he avoided eye contact. "You haven't changed the place since I was last here," he said.

"Not like you were here long before I left to live with my mom," I say, reminding him that I had moved in with my mom the same summer we broke up.

"Right," he said, pressing his lips together in a thin line. "How do you like it here? Since you got back I mean," he continued attempting small talk.

"It's the same town I left," I say. "I've always liked it."

"How long are you staying?" he asked. By now it felt like more of an interrogation than small talk.

"Not that it's any of your business," I start, "but I'm staying up until August, when I leave for college."

"A little feisty, aren't we?" he said, his crooked smile appeared once more, making the old Cole come back to life.

"Shove it, Turner," I tell him. "You know the only reason you're in my room is because my dad ordered me to take you up. That's how it's always been and they expect nothing to change."

"Jeez," he said, holding his hands up in defense, "What climbed up your ass?"

"Not you, thankfully," I smirk, reminding him of his attempt to try something new, as he'd called it.

He rolls his eyes. "That was one time," he tries defending himself.

"And it will live in my memory forever, under the file of Cole's Most Embarrassing Moments," I say, holding my hands up as if presenting the name for emphasis.

"Whatever," he says in a monotone voice. "You really are cute when you're annoyed."

"Cut the crap, Cole," I tell him in a stern voice. "Stop trying to flirt with me. It will get you literally nowhere."

"You can't resist me forever, you know," he tells me. "You haven't been able to in the past," he reminds me.

"I've done it for the past two years," I say. "I think I'm good," I give him a sarcastic smile.

"That's only because we haven't had any contact," he tells me.

"Or maybe it's because I'm over you and don't want you in my life anymore," I tilt my head, making my smile more projected.

"Ouch," he says with a small chuckle, turning his gaze away from me, hiding the fact that the last thing I said actually got to him. "When did you get so bitchy?"

"Ever since you called me a bitch," I slump back in my chair, unlocking my phone and texting Calum.

Devin: Hey

"You're never going to let that go, are you?" he looks back at me.

"Is there a reason I should?" I ask him, setting my phone down in my lap and raising an eyebrow at him.

He sighs, knowing there's no way of going around what he did. "I'm sorry, okay?"

I look at him, pretending to think as I furrow my eyebrows together.