17

Both Stella and Lola were busy.

Lola was visiting her grandmother a few towns away, while Stella had a family lunch that day.

Dad had been unexpectedly called to the station that Sunday, telling me it was urgent and that I should go ahead and eat lunch myself.

Around two pm, I decided I was hungry, and after raiding the fridge, I concluded there was nothing decent in the house to eat.

Because of this, I decided to go out to eat. But first, I had to return something that wasn't mine – Calum's leather jacket – which he had left hung over my chair last night. He had completely forgotten about it when he left in a hurry.

Changing into something more presentable than my pajamas, I grabbed his jacket on the way out of my room, putting it under the seat of my scooter before turning it on.

I backed out of the garage and closed it before driving off towards Calum's house.

It was an extremely hot day, probably one of the hottest days of the summer, and I wouldn't have left my air-conditioned home if it weren't for the wind that would be blowing on my face from riding my scooter (also cause I was hungry).

Around twenty minutes later, I arrived at Calum's house. Walking up the stone porch steps, I examined the front of the house. It was even prettier and more glamorous during the day. There was a small circular fountain on one side of the porch steps, on the other, there was a small flower garden which consisted of small evergreen trees and a few flowers here and there.

I rang the doorbell and waited. Not long after, someone answered the door. It was Mali.

"Hey, Mali," I waved at her, smiling, "Is Calum home? I wanted to return his jacket." I raise his leather jacket to show her.

"Hey," she smiled back at me, "Yeah, he's upstairs in his room. Third door on the right."

"Thanks," I say as I walk inside and up the stairs in the hallway. They lead to another hallway. I follow Mali's instructions, and soon enough, I'm standing in front of what I'm guessing is Calum's door.

I knock lightly on the door.

"Come in!" I hear a groggy voice from the inside.

As I enter, I notice it's much darker in his room than the rest of the house. I walk further inside, noticing that all the curtains are drawn, making the room dark.

The air is also much cooler in here, and I notice that's because of the three fans turned on maximum.

Calum is lying on his bed, in only a pair of basketball shorts. His upper body isn't clothed. My eyes go to his flat stomach, leading up to his muscular arms placed over his head.

He lifts his head to see who's entered, practically sitting up with excitement when he sees that it's me.

"Couldn't stay away from me, could you?" he smirks.

"Last time I checked," I say, "you were the one that broke into my house."

He rolls his eyes playfully. "I wanted to see you."

"I know," I smile, walking over to his bed and sitting next to him. "I actually came here to bring you your jacket, which you forgot last night." I hand him his jacket.

"What would I do without you?" he says, taking his jacket and placing it on his bed behind us.

"Probably die of boredom at the police station," I tease.

"Ha, ha," he says sarcastically, "very funny."

"I know I am," I smile proudly.

Calum yawns.