Back to Earth

I grinned, grabbing my hearing aids and my phone. Let me shower first, and then we can eat and leave.

"We're going to eat all meals out today. Go ahead and text Ana that we'll pick her up about half an hour after you get out of your shower, okay?" Elisa smiled at me. I nodded, going over to my closet. 

I held up two shirts for Elisa. One had a couple of stick figures, one of which had fallen apart. The other stick figure pictured was saying "Pull yourself together!" I thought it was hilarious when I picked it up in Hot Topic. The other was a t-shirt from Fall Out Boy logo. She pulled the Fall Out Boy shirt out of my hand and searched through my closet. She produced a ripped pair of jeans, a flannel shirt, and olive-colored jacket. She smiled at me and left. I looked at the outfit and shrugged, going into the bathroom. 

After 15 minutes I texted Ana that we would be on the way soon. I pulled the outfit on and smiled at how cute I looked. Elisa was really good with outfits. I put my hearing aids in and threw my charger and case into my book bag, along with anything else I needed. I skipped down the hall to the kitchen, where Elisa and Patrick waited patiently. Elisa grabbed the keys and kissed Patrick before allowing us to leave. I walked with her out to the van and got in the passenger seat. 

Ana texted me as we were pulling out: Do you want to meet my parents before we go?

I showed the text to Elisa, "We've got time if you want to stop in really quick."

I nodded and texted Ana back, Sure!

Elisa and I pulled into her driveway and I hopped out. I walked up to the front door of the sad-looking house and knocked. I could technically hear because I had the hearing aids in, but that didn't make me any less awkward. I kept my eyes on the ground until I heard the door click. I looked up to see my beautiful girlfriend in the doorway. I smiled at her, kissing her cheek.

"Morning babe. Come on in, I just have to get my shoes on," Ana led me into her house, where I was greeted by an adorable Golden Retriever puppy. I knelt down to pet it, smiling as Ana brought her parents in.

"Oh! You've met Uno!" Ana said, kneeling next to me. I nodded. "These are my parents Nicole and Daniel. My dad is deaf by the way."

My eyes lit up as I stood up straight, "Hi, my name is Eve. I've known ASL most of my life and learned it online. I'm technically hard of hearing, but I do have hearing aids."

Mr. Daniel nodded, "I'm Daniel, obviously, but I've known ASL for 8 years and I learned through a physical class. I'm deaf through combat."

"Thank you for your service, sir." I smiled at him. His face lit up, does no one tell him that?

"I'm Nicole, pleased to meet you, honey," She hugged me, and I signed you as well.

"Well, we have to go," Ana said, taking my hand.

"You have everything you need?" Mrs. Nicole asked, hugging her.

"Yes momma," Ana mumbled, blushing. I smiled at her, kissing her cheek.

"Eve, you're welcome over anytime. You're family now!" Mrs. Nicole said.

I nodded to her, shifting a little on my feet, "Thank you. I'll bring Ana home tonight safe."

"Have fun girls!" Mrs. Nicole said. Mr. Daniel waved as we walked out. I smiled at Ana as she shut the door.

"Your parents seem nice," I signed, getting into the car. Ana and I were going to sit in the back seat, with Ruby once we pick her and Marie up. 

"I mean, they are, but not as nice as your parents," Ana retorted, grinning. "Good morning Mrs. Elisa."

"Morning Ana. You don't have to put the Mrs. on, it makes me sound old and stuffy," Elisa grinned back to Ana as she pulled out of the driveway. 

We continued talking as we drove to the place we were having breakfast at. Of course, we picked Marie and Ruby up. They continued the conversation on as I looked out the window. Chicago was freezing cold and snow-covered the ground. I almost brought a pocket warmer with me, so I didn't feel like I was going to freeze to death. The car was hot enough anyway. I couldn't believe I had only been with Patrick and Elisa for four days. It felt like forever. I considered the notion of calling them Mom and Dad, finally. They did adopt me. I just never had parents before. I mean, ones that actually took care of me. The closest I got was the workers at the orphanage, who were never allowed to favor a child (even if they were disabled. A lot of children like me came through the orphanage, but their disabilities were easier to deal with than mine). Patrick and Elisa had paid more attention to me in the past four days than anyone in the orphanage in the past almost 18 years combined. I think I'm comfortable enough now. 

"Hey, mom where are we going for breakfast?" I signed, hoping to freak her out a little.

Ana translated, and Elisa continued to pull into the restaurant, "IHOP," She parked the car and everyone got out. We were up on the sidewalk when it clicked, "Did you just call me mom?!"

I laughed and nodded, which caused her to squeal and hug me, "Oh my gosh I love you so much, kid. Let's get inside?"

We walked inside the restaurant and Elisa couldn't stop smiling. Once we were in the booth Elisa took a selfie with everyone and posted it online. I couldn't stop smiling. I almost passed out from the cuteness as A) Ana kissed the side of my head and B) Ruby "awwww"ed adorably each time. Today is going to be a good day.