30| A Safe Place

M I A

M I A

It was Sunday. Exactly 2 o'clock after midnight.

As my sleepless eyes flicker from the blank ceiling to the clock on the nightstand, I couldn't help but feel myself getting numb. I was just stressed, concerned and lost. My anxiety pills didn't help much either.

A week ago, after 9 students got taken away, I began battling with myself. To think I've been battling ever since the accident, but still. This time, I'm completely oblivious to the outcome. 

Each night, I would let myself sink deeper into my thoughts while hours pass by slowly. And the next thing I would know, the sun rises.

I can't hide the fact that I feel paranoid, I make myself paranoid. You'd be too if you were in my shoes. Maybe because of me, maybe because of everyone or maybe because of this place in general.

I couldn't shake that premonition away. Instead, it got worse day by day. And it scared me.

After half of the football team got locked down, everyone got suspiciously weird. Every time I would see someone in class, in the cafeteria—where I sat alone—or even in the halls, I catch people staring at me and whisper to each other. I was positive they were about me, though I don't know why. 

To top that, the rest of the football team kept on watching me from far, studying me. During meals, they'd all sit at one table and talk while sending glances at me every now and then, as if they're planning something. And during classes, I get to share some with a few with them. They would continue giving me looks. 

It was all too suspicious.

On the other hand, Julia got distant. More like she totally ghosted me. In classes that we shared together, she would sit as far away as possible and at mealtimes, she wouldn't show up. I also saw her hanging with some girl earlier today.

I don't blame her. Although, I don't regret what I said.

And Ashton?

Ashton tried to confront me several times. However, I kept on turning him down each time. I'm not ready to talk to him again and maybe it's because I'm too stubborn to believe the truth. 

Turns out, rumours quickly started to spread later that day. Somehow, all of them were what Ashton promised to be. It was all too hard to believe, I still don't, but there are doubts. And that was the main cause of my anxiety.

Over the days, I get more and more aware of how much dangerous Sebastian is. The reputation he got himself and most of all, the feelings I developed for him.

I kept wondering about the reason that brought him here and why he became like this. I wondered if it's still good for me to see him the same after he gets out. Hell, I doubt if he'll even look at me the same.