Chapter 7 - Amused Smiles

A/N

Just stating something. The reason I didn't give Ryan a description is because I wanted you to think of your perfect guy.

"Get out," I said, more harsh than expected.

"Calm down will you. I only came to remind you that you said you'd babysit my sisters this weekend," he replied deadpan.

"Okay I get it. Now get out."

"Okay, okay," he said slightly chuckling before walking out.

I was now wearing a white tank top blouse with a black high waisted jeans. By the time I got downstairs Zack had already left. I guess he had some important stuff to do.

After greeting my mom who was in the kitchen I quickly toast my bread and apply butter to each side.

I rushed towards the door opening it with a swift swing. My eyes widened in disbelief before quickly closing it after.

I slowly open the door once again making sure I was just seeing things.

"Hey," he said gesturing with his hand up.

"W-why are you here?," I ask peeking through the small space in between the door and the wall.

"Can I come in?" He ignored my question and came in before I could reply. Just then my mom came walking by.

"Hi. Ryan right?," my mom asked, after looking at me with a sly look in her eye.

"Yes. Good morning Mrs.Clarke," he said politely to which I scoffed.

"I'm guessing you guys made up?," mom said with the same sly look on her face.

"Mom!"

From the corner of my eye I could see Ryan covering his mouth desperately trying to hold back a laugh.

What is going on here!

"Okay okay. You kids have you're "talk," she said gesturing with her fingers and emphasizing the word talk before returning to the kitchen.

I let out a sigh not realizing Ryan was still there.

"Moms huh"

"I know right!," I replied subconsciously.

Wait, what?

I swiftly turn to Ryan preparing my 'tough girl' mask.

"You didn't answer my question," I said furiously.

"What question?," he asked as if clueless to what I was talking about.

"Why are you here?"

"The other night I didn't finish my explanation," he answered.

I put up my hand stopping him. "I really don't want to hear it. Plus, I have somewhere to be.

"... Oh...really?," he said and I'm sure I see a look of sadness in his eyes as he slowly looked down.

"Yeah," I say observing his facial features. "I could... use some help though."

WHAT! WHY DID I JUST SAY THAT!?

"Really!?" His face suddenly lit up as he was now smiling from ear to ear.

"No that's not what I meant-" I say trying to explain myself while inside I was slightly flustered by his reaction and damn that face!

"Great! Let's go." There he goes again ignoring me but strangely, this time I can't help but smile.

"Huh!?," he said suddenly out of nowhere.

"What!," I said startled.

"You smiled," he said. A smirk across his face and damn that looks good.

Before he could realize I was staring I walked away.

I could hear him saying goodbye to my mom and soon after he was beside me.

Why is he so fast anyway?

"So..where are we headed?," he asked slightly out of breath.

"We're already there," I said smiling.

"Wait so this is where you had to go? It's just two steps away...literally! What are gonna do babysit?" He said laughing. I gave him a deadpan look.

"Yes."

"Oh," he said, the smile slowly disappearing off his face. I desperately wanted to laugh at that but held it in.

I knocked on the door and said hello to Zack's mom.

"Oh hey Lala!," she said cheerfully as usual. She took a quick glance behind me and I could see the same sly look my mom had on her face earlier form on hers. "And who might this young fellow be."

"Oh he's just..." I turned to look at him. "someone. Don't worry, he's just here to help me with the twins."

"Oh I'm not worrying. Once he's a friend of yours, he's my friend too," she said assuring me of her thoughts.

I never said he was my 'friend.'

"So what's you name?

"My name is Ryan"

"Oh Ryan huh? So are you guys Layan or Ryla?," she said whilst wiggling her eyebrows.

"Wait what! Nooo!" I blurted out suddenly, denying what she said. "Oh right, you have work so you know what, let me just walk you to your car and.....there you go. Have a good day Mrs.Parker!," I walked her to her car and waved her good bye before letting out a heavy sigh and placing my hand against my chest.

After turning around I saw Ryan with a huge and amused smile plastered against his face.

"Hmm I totally prefer Layan by the way," he said as I walked towards him. I rolled my eyes and walked away. "...Or would Ryla be better." He was now slowly following me into the house but I could just imagine the smug smile he had on his face.

As soon as the door closed the twins came running towards me pulling me into a tight hug. They look as hyper as usual. Where do they get so much energy from?

There names were Zara and Zaria. They were polite but super hard to take care of as they were always hyper. Don't even get me started on the sleeping aspect of things.

Zaria soon noticed I was not alone and peeked behind me to find who she'd describe as "the spooky stranger that came along with me" - her words exactly.
She looked up at me with a clueless face.

I knelt down to their eye level and placed my hand on their shoulders.

"Oh he's just here to help me with you guys," I said smiling brightly while assuring them it was okay to talk to him. Through the corner of my eye I could see Ryan slightly waving at them.

Putting an end to the awkward silence that had taken over, a big roar interrupted. It was Zara's stomach. I guess they must be hungry. I noticed that Ryan's hand was now covering his mouth and his shoulders were shaking as he tried desperately to hold back his laugh.

Why is he laughing so much today?

"You guys must be hungry huh?" I stood up turning to Ryan and giving him a serious look. "Watch them."

After preparing the food, I went back to the hall only to see the unexpected.

They were all seated on the sofa comfortably asleep.

How long was I in the kitchen?

I decided to put the food in a container and place it in the fridge. Soon after falling asleep in a chair.

When I opened my eyes, I saw one person. Ryan. He was looking right at me.