Chapter 16 - Our Last

After our little talk, I called Amy to tell her I would leave without her - didn't tell her with whom though.

Ryan and I were both now sitting in silence as he drove and I looked out the window. He didn't say where we were going and I didn't ask. I was too busy thinking I wouldn't be seeing him again after this.

"Hey, what are you thinking?" He asked, his eyes still on the road.

"Huh? Nothing..." I lied, turning my head to him.

"Really? 'Cause I've asked you if you would like to listen to some music about five times now," he replied as a slight smile crept up his face.

"I was just thinking, like what if...you really don't come back?" I asked hesitantly. For a second his smile faded.

"Let's not worry about that. Let's just focus on what's happening now and worry later," he said smiling once more.

"Okay," I said before turning back to the window.

Yeah, he's right. Let's worry later.

I soon realized where we were now, seemed familiar as he drove. When he parked I was certain this was the place, the place where I first confessed. Thinking back to that time now was funny. Especially the way I stormed out after telling him I liked him. Without realizing, I made a slight chuckle at the thought.

"So you think it's funny too huh," he chuckled.

I smiled.

"Let's go." As soon as those words escaped his mouth, he swiftly came out of the car, making his way to my side before gracefully opening the door for me.

My mind went blank, but not enough for me to lose my senses. After getting out, in a quiet voice I responded, "Thank you."

He did the same upon entering the restaurant. Unlike every other day, he was being very gentleman - like.

We received our meal and were silently eating. I have to admit, I stole a few peeks at him whenever he wasn't looking.
As he drank his juice now, I looked at him admiring his facial features. His hair fell down covering his eyebrows while his lips-

His eyes suddenly flew up causing me to quickly avert mine. In the corner of my eyes, I could make out a slight smile on his lips.

"Aren't you going to eat?" He asked.

"Huh?"

"You've barely touched anything," he said pointing towards my burger.

I looked down to where he was pointing. He was right. Have I been looking at him this whole time?

"What do you mean? I'm almost finished," I said taking a huge bite of my burger.
He started laughing. Unintentionally, a small smile formed on my lips as I watched him. Shortly after being replaced by coughs, it disappeared. In a second Ryan was by my side and already patting my back.

"Is that better?" He asked, a confused look hovering his face.

"Yeah, thanks," I said with one last cough.

"Here, drink some water," he suggested passing me the water.

After drinking the water and looking at each other, we both started laughing.

The rest of the day went by in a flash. We did a whole bunch of things. From riding bicycles to playing tag in the park. We even got ice cream. This was the most fun I had in a long time...and it was all because I was with him.

________________

We were both exhausted now as we were in the car on our way home, making various jokes along the way.

"Oh right! There's one more place we have to go," he exclaimed giving me one of his legendary amused smiles and I can't help but stare and smile along. Not for long though as he turned his head back to the road.

"Where?" I curiously asked.

"You'll see," he said as he smiled goofily.

We had been driving for a while now and I was really curious.

"Ugh. The suspense is killing me. Can't you just tell me?" I pleaded.

"Nope." He shook his head pooping the 'p' in 'nope' before adding, "we're almost there, just be patient."

I sighed.

________________

As he was now parking, I'm guessing we were there. Like before, he opened the door for me but this time covered my eyes. We walked a little and soon he removed his hands. As soon as I opened my eyes I was astounded at the sight in front of me.

We were on top of a hill and the view was just beautiful. The hill was filled with bright green grass which enhanced its beauty. I stood there in awe taking in the gorgeous view.

Turning around to Ryan I asked, "where'd you find this place anyway?" A smile from ear to ear now covered my face.

"This is where my dad died"

A quick gasp escaped my mouth as I covered it with my hands.

"I'm joking," he laughed before adding, "I was lost and came by it."

I let out a sigh of relief. "Okay, first of all, that wasn't funny and second, the fact that you were lost isn't good either."

"Well it wasn't a complete lie, my father is dead....to me at least," he said as he folded his fists.

I remained silent not knowing what to say. And I didn't want to pry by asking what happened.

"He left us when we were at our worst. What kind of dad leaves when things get rough?" He said before continuing. "He's not a father to me...and will never be."