ch. 1

Trigger Warning ⚠️

Kyrie

In my own opinion, my life was pretty much close to perfect. I had just about every normal teenage life. I had the perfect man, a hand full of friends, and family who were always proud of me.

Not to mention having an older brother who looked out for me no matter what.

But of course, every fairytale has its downfall.

Year 2013

Fall semester of 2013. I was in my senior year of high school, and I was at work at McDonalds. My best guy friend texted and asked to borrow money, and I said yes.

Bad choice number one.

"Thanks for choosing McDonalds, May I take your order?" I said.

"Can I get a McDouble Meal only mayo, with a large sweet tea?" The customer said.

"That'll be $4.68, drive around to the first window." I said.

"$4.68 ma'am." I said.

I took the money from the customer and cashed in the transaction. She gave me the correct amount, I gave her the receipt and thanked her.

As I prepared to take the next car order, my phone vibrated on the counter, indicating that I had a text messaged. I pressed the button on the headset to speak, "Thanks for choosing McDonalds, could you hold please?" I pressed the button to mute the speaker.

I grabbed my phone and saw that the text was from my best guy friend Damien.

Damien: hey sis. u get paid wed? 👀

Me: Yea.

Damien: good. let me hold some baby. 😩

Me: baby? 😂 Best friend not ya baby. When tht happen?

Damien: wen u start ACTing like it. round that time you paid for me to get in the party.

Left on read.

Damien: u got me wed?

Me: Okay. 🙄

Damien: From today on shit different. we more than best friends.

Me: 😳😂 I don't know about all that, but I got you the money.

Bad choice number two.

Forgetting that I was at work for a minute. I pressed the button on the headset to speak. "Apologize for the wait, may I take your order."

I took what seemed like 500 more orders before it was time for my break. I grabbed my purse and my phone, and walked to the front lobby so I could sit down. I went to messages and decided to text Damien.

Me: hey, im on break. And I only got 30 mins. so you better hurry.

Damien: bet. omw.

I sipped on my caramel frappe, and ate a small fry while I wanted on Damien to pull up. After 15 minutes, I saw his car pull up. I went up to my friend Marie.

"Listen, if I'm not back in 20 minutes, call me and tell me there is an emergency. I have a bad feeling." I said. Maria responded with, "I got you, baby. Be careful."

I walked out to his car, and I had a nagging feeling. Something deep inside me told to turn around, and go back inside, but I kept going. I got in the car, put on the seatbelt.