Dirt road

What was it we all were looking for in life?

What would make us all feel good?

How did anything possibly fulfill a person?

I still wasn't sure of that; I knew I was content where I was. Maybe this was what I was looking for in life. It seemed too simple, but maybe I just simply hadn't a clue.

I was never able to imagine anything about my life because I was too busy battling all the demons that hung around. I wasn't in life I was in the motions to get to some form of it.

This moment in time felt like life to me. I felt like life was now there in front of me and all around me. Evan and I were intertwined with life now and all the things that came with it. I was happy about that, I was curious to see what life would bring to us.

"What the heck?" I asked myself a dark car behind me nearly on my bumper. I quickly hit the locks feeling uneasy, it was hard to make out what kind of car it was or who was in it. The darkness was not helping me at all.

I stepped on the gas gripping the steering wheel until my knuckles were white, my mouth dry. The car seemed to creep up keeping up with my speed.

"What do you want?!" I yelled staring in the rearview in anger trying my hardest to make out the man in a baseball hat. The car slid across a patch of ice swerving all over the road, I slammed on the brakes regretting it as soon as I did sending the whole car into a quick spin before I was tossed off the road like a little toy car. I gasped biting hard into my lip as I nearly missed a fence.

"Oh my god!" I screamed looking in my mirror at the car sitting behind me not moving. My hair all over the place, I stared straight ahead trying to slow my breathing before I seriously panicked.

Whoever it was was in for a lashing if they were man enough to come to my window. If they were a moron or killer, they probably didn't care or were waiting for me to step out. It would be easier to kill someone outside of his or her vehicle. I stayed still grabbing my cell to call Evan. I didn't want to worry him, but at the same time, I wanted him to know where I was. Just in case, the worst was going to happen. The phone rang more times than usual. I fidgeted nervously my toes wiggling in my boots wondering what was taking so long.

"Hello?" Evan asked his voice sounding half asleep. I rolled my eyes realizing he was.

"Hey, I just wanted to say I was on my way home." I said considering not saying anything, but I had promised us both I wouldn't keep my mouth shut on important issues anymore.

"Good you can keep me warm, this snow is crazy." He said yawning into the phone. I smiled imagining his face and what he would probably be doing right now. It made me happy, and it made me feel safe. I stared into the rearview mirror the car looming like an eerie creature.

"I'm a little nervous." I said letting out a breath clutching the phone with both hands.

"What are you talking about?" Evan asked his voice coming back to life instantly.

"Well I slid off the road nearly crashed into a fence, and instead of continuing to drive I just am trying to shake the fright." I said half laughing trying to force myself to say the rest, to let Evan know I was horribly freaked out at this car that wouldn't leave me alone. That I feared it was all that I was trying to be strong against. I didn't know if I had it in me to fight, as much as I liked to think I was strong and that Marcus was on my side, all that was fading as I sat on the side of a dark road frozen in fear.