Ruby

The night to me as a child meant evil and scary. As I grew older I still sort of felt like I had no control of what was out there. I didn't know because I couldn't see, it was a mystery. The obvious thought was bad stuff happened at night because it's just a welcoming environment for such. What criminal would prefer bright and sunny when they could have dark and haunting? What animal would rather go on the prowl in the sun? What about the darkness made us crave things that in the light we might not even want?

I rolled over in bed forgetting where I was coming out of my sleep. I stared around hoping for my eyes to adjust to the darkness. I always had a hard time sleeping when I had so much on my mind. Sometimes I could battle against it and fall asleep other times my body wouldn't give in.

I touched Evan's head glad to feel him still next to me.

"Are you awake?" I asked waiting for some sort of reply, he said nothing. I poked him causing a stir but nothing more.

"Fine, I'm going to wander around until my mind lets me go back to sleep." I said out loud standing up. The bed letting out a loud screech and the floor as well, I slowed my pace afraid to wake the whole house.

I came down the large stairs coming into the kitchen looking around for a light.

"Whoa!" A voice said rather loudly making me jump practically to the ceiling. I clutched my chest closing my eyes out of shock.

"Who are you?!"I exclaimed my heart thudding practically in my throat.

The tall guy stared at me oddly, his shaved head and sharp nose the first two features you noticed. He had wild eyes, bright blue eyes like something I had never seen before. I wasn't sure what exactly he was doing here, but I was regretting coming out of the bedroom now.

"I'm Browne." He said loudly moving about the kitchen.

"And you are there son, grandson?" I asked.

"Grandson." He nodded looking me over. "I've never seen you before, I'm sure I would remember. And I know you're not friends with them there old. "He said looking through some drawers.

"We needed a place to stay they invited us in." I said eyeing him as he rifled through the drawers.

"I'm sorry that's sweet, I'll be out of here in a few." He said keeping on with what he was doing pulling items out of the drawers rather carelessly. Paper and whatnot scattered and fell to the floor.

"Do they know you're here going through there things?" I asked starting to sense something was not right.

"Listen you just said your only here because you needed a place to stay. So I highly doubt it's going to bother you to hear that I am rifling through my grandparents stuff." He said.

I didn't say anymore just slowly made my way to the door inch by inch, my eye catching a glimpse of something on the ground, I slowly bent down picking up a ruby necklace putting it into my palm holding it tightly.

The young man who called himself Browne took notice in me making it further out of the kitchen.

"I don't need any trouble." He said barely looking in my eyes.

"I'm sure they don't either." I said irritated.

"Hey it's the least they could do for me, after all." He said looking off at something. I was starting to believe he was under the influence of something. He pulled the whole kitchen drawer out shaking it before dropping it with a bang on the floor. I crossed my arms watching him act nuts and not care if he were found out. It wouldn't be much longer before Evan or Kenny heard the ruckus and were flying down the stairs thinking the worst.