Unheard unseen

Evan nudged me awake as I leaned against his arm in the hallway chair where we waited. It had been nearly two hours since my Dad had awakened from whatever it was, he was in. The odd part was my Mother still hadn't shown up. I figured Evan had some sort of hand in that. I decided to wait outside while Dad, Gray and Lyric had their first moments together.

It was evident Evan was speechless still regarding what to say about what had gone down. It was clear my Dad awake was baffling enough, and to make it worse Dad knew more about him then he ever could imagine.

I rubbed my temples trying to make sense of this all.

"I think there about done." He said pointing to Gray and Devan.

"Ok." Was all I said looking off, now that I was awake I was nervous around Evan because I didn't know what he would say.

He sighed. I sighed as well resting my head against his shoulder taking his hands in mine.

"You know, a guy would think the worse thing to happen would be the father finding out he is sleeping with his daughter." He said quietly. "But I have to disagree now. I think the worst thing is a father knowing he was going to kill his daughter." He said jerking his arm away from me causing me to jump.

"What were you thinking?!" He yelled in a whisper looking around to make sure no one overheard us.

"I don't know, usually when a whole hospital staff tells me my Dad is brain dead I take that for what it's worth!" I whispered back annoyed. How was I supposed to know he would wake up?

"You just don't go around saying that ever to anyone not even yourself. What do I do now?" He asked looking my way his hands in the air. "Do you have any suggestions, how does one smooth over murder to someone?"

I tapped my foot ready to blow up in the hospital.

"Any advice would be greatly appreciated." He poked again crossing his arms.

"I swear to god if you don't stop it, when we leave here I will murder you and you won't have my Dad to worry about anymore!" I said giving him the evil eyes turning away from him.

"Can we sign some sort of agreement that you will keep up that promise?" He laughed out of anger or something.

"Evan stop, how was I supposed to know he would wake up?" I turned to look at him for an honest answer. His face softened for a quick second before going back to stern, clearly nothing was pulling him to my side of this dilemma.

Gray and Devan came out carrying Lyric who was fast asleep. We stood up ready to head in and act like all was well. I touched Lyric, kissing his tiny baby head.

"We are going to take him home, let him nap. I'll be back in about an hour." Gray said beaming with joy. I nodded silently wishing I could feel as happy. Gray grabbed my hand lightly balancing the baby with the other.

"It doesn't even matter what you said, he's back with us." He said leaving.

"Oh of course not, because that makes no difference." Evan said under his breath pretending he didn't say anything as we made our way back in the room.

"I think I beat you by several months huh kid?" He asked me with a small grin, as nurses worked on him some more.

"Yeah about five or six I would say." I said trying to seem impressed.

Evan stayed closer to the door trying to make himself scarce.

"Let's just get this over with." My dad spoke up looking at Evan.

Evan reluctantly came closer looking unsure of it all.

"Yes sir."

"I've heard some things that were quite upsetting about you." He said. I held my breath ready for who knows what. "But I also heard some wonderful things that made me let the horrible things go."

I blinked in awe.

"I'm sorry?" Evan asked confused.

"Eve talks highly of you, she knows she loves you and that you love her, and judging by my daughter that's all she needs. And I feel the same as I did before all this, that you are a good man who wants nothing more than to love my daughter and be with her and make her happy."

Evan nodded. "I couldn't describe it any better than those words."

"So regardless of what you may be, I'll look past that. No one is perfect it's not about who you are it's about what you do." He said looking at Evan and Me.

"I couldn't agree more." Evan said. They shook hands agreeing to leave Evan's secret where it needed to be and that was under lock and key. It was hard to believe that my Dad believed in Evan as much as I did. I thought it was more the fact that I did was enough for him.

"I wonder where Mom is." I spoke up feeling as if she needed to be there as much as all of us, and even Hannah.

"I told Gray I didn't want her here." He said shortly, Evan eyed me surprised as much as I was.

"What do you mean?" I asked shocked.

"She disrespected my kids and myself, my house is gone and so are my feelings for that woman." I nodded not wanting to argue with his wishes.

"Your sister is on a flight back as we speak, she was on vacation." My dad said smiling at me. I knew he could see all the worry on my face. I couldn't hide any of it, I felt so shocked that everything was turning out as it was.

"Eve I promise you it's all ok." He assured me. Evan came over putting his arm around me. "I think Evan knows what he is capable of doing." Evan nodded at my Dad.

He knew the hardest part, something I thought he never would he knew. He found a way to accept that and I was happy about that. I don't think there was anything more I could ask.

"I'm not so sure you want to believe your Dad when he says its fine." Evan spoke up as we made our way through the dark parking lot.

"And why is that?" I asked looking over.

"Because I don't think anyone can be ok with something like that, and he may not be all there." Evan said hopping in the truck.

I sighed feeling no matter what occurred I never was meant to feel secure about any of it.

"I like to believe he has faith in me, enough to believe in the both of us." I said my hand being scooped up in Evan's grasp. I touched my stomach feeling rather nauseous still. I shrugged it off as we headed home.