Chapter Fourteen

Katrina adjusted her glasses and squinted at us. She swung a red purse over her shoulder.

"Am I seeing things?" she said. "Are you children actually here? In front of me?"

"Yes, we are," Hansel answered. "We were dropped off by the bus."

"The bus?"

I noticed that our aunt's fingers were twitching. Her teeth chattered, and drops of sweat streamed down her pale face.

"Aunt Katrina? Why is your face pale?" I asked her. "Why do you look nervous? It is just us."

Her teeth and fingers immediately stopped moving. She cleared her throat.

"I am not nervous." She wiped her forehead with the back of her sleeve. "I am worried."

"Worried? About what?" Hansel jumped in. "And why are you in Forlot?"

"I will explain." Katrina came closer to us and took our hands. She grasped my right hand and my brother's left hand. "We need to head to my workplace. I will explain along the way."

Katrina led us down the sidewalk. I looked up.

There was the purple sky. In all of its glory. Shining its light on the sidewalk. On us. On the entire town. The light tricked outsiders into thinking that the town was painted purple.

A silver flagpole was behind a black building, and a flag was on the pole. The flag was raised to the top and colored purple and black stripes. A gust of wind blew, forcing the flag to move, like the wind was commanding the flag to dance for it.

You know how every state and country have their own colors for representation? The same can be said for Forlot. The town's colors are black and purple. Do not ask me why. I do not have a clue.

While I have the thought in mind, I should clear up the fact that Forlot is a country. However, it is located in the United States.

Why is this?

I do not have all the information, but I will tell you what I know and have heard.

Years ago, Forlot was part of the United States. Many knew about the small town back then. It was one of the most populated towns in the country.

No. In the world.

But that all changed in the year of 1998.

Something happened between the government and the leaders of Forlot. Some folks say that the government wanted Forlot to fuse with a nearby state. Others say that the government desired to have the town be turned into a research center, and the people who lived in Forlot had to leave.

No one really knows what was talked about behind closed doors. Though, whatever it was, it was not taken well.

At the end of 1998, Forlot seceded from the United States. Heck, it seceded from all the countries in the world. The leaders of Forlot wanted nothing to do with people who did not respect the town.

Last year, as a matter of fact, the mayor of Forlot said the following:

"We are not a political town. We are a righteous town. This town is made up of good people, not bad people. We are all children of the Lord. That is what we stand for. Evil will only get worse. In Forlot, goodness will always last."

And that is why Forlot is a country.

Although, I think that there is much more behind this.

"This place has changed," Hansel remarked, looking at his surroundings.

"Not that much," I told him. "We left eight months ago."

"Still, it was a long time." He pointed at a mansion that was on top of a green hill. "I have never seen that mansion before."

"That mansion is owned by a group of people," Aunt Katrina spoke. "It is the Magical M. Manors. It is their home."

Hansel stared at the mansion. "Is there any magic at the house?"

She smiled. "You could say that."

"What does the second 'm' stand for?" I asked.

She stopped and let go of our hands. She patted my head. "You might not believe me if I told you."

My twin began jumping up and down. "Tell us!"

Katrina rolled her eyes at him. "Silly boy." She pushed up her glasses with a finger. "It stands for 'monster.' Magical Monster Manors."

Hansel and I were surprised at what she said.

"What?" I said.

Aunt Katrina smirked. "Shocked, huh?" She pointed at a building. "This is my workplace."

Hansel and I faced the building.

The building was dark green. It was not tall. It did not touch the sky at all. There were four windows, two on each side of a dark brown door. The windows seemed dirty. I could see dust on the glasses.

"Come inside," Katrina offered as she unzipped her purse. "I will introduce you to my boss."

Not taking another look at the dirty windows, I walked up to the door. My brother followed.

As I was about to reach for the doorknob, I noticed an object flying out from my aunt's purse. The object smacked against my arm, and I quickly grabbed it. It felt like paper.

But it was not paper.

It was a photo.

"The House with the Eyes" photo.

I breathed heavily and turned to her. "Why do you have this?" I asked.