Chapter Thirty-Eight

The creature panted as it made its way to us and the scientist. Its paws thudded against the floor. Its claws brushed against the ground, causing loud, scraping sounds. The sounds echoed throughout the secret room.

"Oh my gosh!" I exclaimed.

"I am too young to die!" Hansel also exclaimed.

The creature hurried to us. Its tongue was now hanging out and swinging left and right.

"Halt!" Dr. Maxwell ordered.

My brother and I watched in awe as the beast stopped running. It panted harder and trotted over. It sat next to him and let out a low growl.

Dr. Maxwell chuckled and patted the top of the creature's head. "Good boy. You cannot eat these children. You already ate those other children. Remember?"

I shivered. He meant Ruby and Karen.

"He...he obeys you?" Hansel wondered.

"Yep. But I was not always his master." He cleared his throat. "I knew that he resided in this house. That is one of the reasons why I bought the house. The other reason was because of my research. I needed a place where I could store my things. Important things. Like bottles of - deadly - liquids and documents."

"How did you get him to obey you?" I asked, eyeing the creature.

"Simple. I did some research and found a book online. It is titled 'Summoning the Creature From Beyond.' It talks about the origin of this fantastic creature and gives tips on how to train it."

I was totally confused. How could he have summoned the Creature From Beyond if the beast was already in the house?

I raised an eyebrow. "So you summoned him?"

He shook his head. "Nope. I just trained him. Though, that part remains a mystery. Somebody had to summon the Creature From Beyond. Otherwise, he would not be here.

I narrowed my eyebrows at him. "Hmm..."

I bet that he was lying about that.

"But enough about that." The scientist eyed the two of us suspiciously. "Where is the document that you stole?"

"We did not steal it!" Hansel defended. "And why do you need it anyway? Besides it being important?"

Dr. Maxwell laughed. "I suppose that I should tell you the story. The story of the Lubriem."