Chapter Thirty-Seven

I was taken aback. Hansel gasped. I was also confused, and I had a feeling that Hansel was full of confusion. If I were not tied up, then I would put my fingers in my ears, one in each ear, and make sure that my ears were clear.

"What did you just say?" Hansel asked. "It sounds like that you know that we - me, my sister, and our parents - used to live in Forlot."

Dr. Maxwell's grin grew wider. He patted the top of my twin's head.

Hansel jerked away. "Do not touch me, old man, and answer my question."

My twin brother does not like to be touched, not even by Mom and Dad. The only one who he does not mind is me because he enjoys the hugs that I give him.

Dr. Maxwell made noises with the paper that he was holding and stared at us. "What a clever boy," he finally said something. "Like me. I am clever."

"Why are you avoiding the question?" I questioned.

He stood back up and clenched his hands into tight fists. "Who says that I am avoiding his question?"

I glared at him. "Doing that makes me suspect that you are hiding something."

"Me? A doctor? What would I be hiding?"

Hansel rolled his eyes. "Look," he started. "You know that this house used to be ours. You know that our family lived here for years. All I desire to know is how. 'Cause me and my sister are pretty shocked." He paused and thought for a moment. He then continued. "We just want to leave. We accidentally left our belongings here. We will grab them and go. Our aunt is—" He was cut off by the doctor.

"Your aunt?"

"We have an aunt who is in the hospital."

"In the hospital?"

"Yes," I piped in. "She collapsed at her apartment and would not wake up. We need to get back to her. She needs us."

"Ah." Dr. Maxwell walked around us and the chair. "What is her name? First name and last name."

"It is none of your business," I snapped. I had enough with this guy. I was done trying to be polite. This guy was up to something. I could feel it in the pit of my stomach.

I had a feeling that he was bad.

Really bad.

"Katrina Murphy," Hansel admitted.

I was now mad at my twin. "Bro!"

He ignored me and looked up at the man. "Do you know her too?"

The doctor shrugged his shoulders. "I may. I may not. Forlot is a small town, so I might know her."

To be honest, I kind of believed him on that. The town is not that huge. And not a lot of people live here. So it is not surprising that you know people who you do not know in the first place.

"Say," Hansel said. "Are you a real doctor?"

Dr. Maxwell hesitated before speaking. "...why do you ask?"

"Well...I was wondering...maybe you could help our aunt get better. We do not know what is wrong with her."

I could feel my whole face turning red. I swear that I was going to slap my twin brother for even suggesting that idea. That is, if I were not tied to a stinkin' chair.

We barely knew this man! He tied us up!

And he was hiding something.

The doctor stopped in his tracks. "My apologies," he told us. "I am not a doctor. I am a scientist."

Hansel was surprised. "Seriously?"

"Yep. I do not like being called a professor. That is why I settled for the word 'doctor.'"

"Oh. That makes sense. I guess."

I glared at the 'doctor' some more. "Very mysterious," I muttered under my breath.

"I will now answer your question," Dr. Maxwell stated. "So do pay attention." He took a deep breath. "I overheard from your neighbors and other people that you two and your parents were moving. Away from the town. Far away." He quickly wiped a tear off that was on his cheek. "What a shame. Forlot was losing its own people. Luckily, we had gained new comers. The Sanders. So it was not much of a loss." He let out a cough and continued. "The day that your family left was the day that I bought your house. Frank and Paula, your mom and dad, and I chatted on the phone. They were aware that I would be buying the house after you all moved out. That is why this house is mine."

"Why did you buy our house?" I spoke up.

"For purposes. I needed a place to live. And I redecorated the house. Outside and inside. That is why you two did not recognize your old house. I had the house demolished twice - the first model was terrible - and had workers rework the place." He motioned to the room that we were in. "I personally kept this room a secret. Do you want to know why?"

"You are keeping a secret that you want nobody to know?" I guessed.

He nodded. "Which brings me to the reason why I tied both of you up." He motioned to the table. "Do you see what is on that table?"

"Papers," Hansel and I said at the same time.

"Not just any papers. Important papers. Documents." He glanced at the paper that he was holding, and then back at us. "You took an important document. And I need it back." He squinted at us. "Or else." He whistled.

Seconds later, the black door opened. My brother and I screamed when we saw who scurried into the room.

The Creature From Beyond.

"You stole a very important document of mine," Dr. Maxwell repeated. "About the Lubriem. And I want it back."