Chapter Twenty-Six

"Ah!"

I screamed and jerked awake. I sat up straight and found myself in a small bed. I coughed and realized that my hair was dripping, and I felt my shirt sticking to my skin.

I had gotten wet.

Hansel was sitting on the edge of the bed. He was holding something. A bucket.

"Sorry that I had to do that to you, sis," he apologized.

"Absolutely. We had to get you up somehow." I saw Aunt Katrina, who was also by the bed. She was standing and playing with her ponytail as she talked. "It was your twin's idea."

I coughed some more and pinched my nose. I smelled a weird and disgusting odor. "Ew. What is that smell?"

"I splashed you with water," Hansel explained. "I knew that the water would wake you." He held out the bucket, and I peered inside.

It was water, but the water did not look clean.

It looked...green.

"Where did you get the water?" I demanded. I had a feeling that the awful smell was coming from the dirty water.

"Duh." He set the bucket on the floor. "I got it from the sink. Aunt Katrina's sink."

"I am sorry if the water stinks," Katrina said. "The apartment has been having problems with the water since last week."

I narrowed my eyebrows. I thought about the water that was in our glasses.

That we drank.

I was about to ask, when her legs began quivering. She took off her glasses and threw them onto the bed.

"Aunt Katrina?" Hansel and I said at the same time.

She did not speak. She had her face in her hands and was rubbing her forehead with her fingers and thumbs.

My brother tilted his head to the side. "Aunt Katrina? Do you have a headache?"

We then gasped as we watched our aunt fall back. Thud! Her back hit the floor. Her arms and legs did not move.

And I could see that she was not breathing.