Chapter Thirty-Two

I kicked the head of the costume. The fake head bounced back to the bullies. I growled.

"Ruby Knight and Karen Hathaway," I said to myself. I then raised my voice for my twin brother and the bullies to hear what I had to say. "You." I pointed a finger at the girls. "You two were pretending to be the Creature From Beyond."

Ruby and Karen tossed back their heads and laughed. They were as wicked as their laughs.

Ruby's blond hair was in two braids. Dark green bows were on the ends of her braids. She had on a dark green dress that reached to her knees and low heels.

Karen's black hair was long and shiny. She wore a dark blue, long-sleeved shirt and black pants. Her shoes were black as well.

Hansel stopped with his laughing and got up. He strolled up to the girls and stood in front of them. He now had his arms crossed.

"I-it was not funny," he stammered. Even he was embarrassed.

Karen scooped up the head. "Aw. We were having some fun," she admitted.

Ruby giggled. "You guys were so scared," she told us. "The way that you stumbled and panicked. And the looks on your faces. Priceless!"

I kept trying to pry the pot off of my butt and noticed that Ruby was holding a camera.

"Oh, no," I groaned. I knew exactly what she was going to do with that camera.

Ruby pushed Hansel out of the way and raised the camera.

Snap!

She giggled some more. "I cannot wait until everyone at our school sees Weak Gretel struggling with a pot."

That is their nickname for me. Weak Gretel.

Hansel made a grab for the camera. Ruby kept it out of his reach, and Karen pulled him away.

"So you two were the creature? The whole time?" Hansel questioned as Karen held onto his wrists.

"Yep," Ruby responded.

Snap!

I looked away from the white flashes that were coming from the camera. I sniffed and could feel myself tearing up.

"How?" Hansel asked. "How could you have good reflexes and made the roaring sounds?"

"Ruby and I are in gymnastics," Karen explained. "We can run and jump so very high." She tightened her grips on his wrists. "As for the roaring, Ruby's father helped us with that. He is an inventor and made a device that could make all kinds of interesting sounds. We put the device in the costume."

"It was worth it," Ruby commented. "We had planned on wearing the costume after school and giving Weak Gretel a scare. But then we saw you two getting on a bus. So we took the next bus and followed you. We gathered the things that we needed to frighten Gretel and also our personal belongings." She handed the camera to her friend and walked over to a black door. "This is where we stored our things. The closet."

She opened the door...

...and gasped.

"What the heck happened?!" Ruby exclaimed.

She picked up a purple bag and showed it off. I knew that the bag belonged to her.

We all gasped.

The bag was torn to shreds.

I then noticed something that was by Ruby.

A pile of bones.