Chapter Twenty

The creature loomed over me. It brought its brown, furry body close to me and lowered its head. I could feel the little hairs brush against my arms and legs. My skin. I tried holding in my laughs and staying in place, for the hairs were tickling me.

If I failed...

...I would become lunch.

Dead meat.

The black poodle got between me and the terrifying creature. It raised its head at the creature and began barking.

"No," I whispered. I knew that the dog was trying to protect me, but it had no chances against the monster. The dog would be ripped to shreds.

I teared up and looked away as the creature snatched the poor poodle with its sharp, yellow teeth. The poodle shrieked.

Hansel grasped my wrist. "Run!" he proclaimed.

I kicked up my legs, and we ran down a hall. I looked back at the creature.

The creature threw the dog across the room and howled. I heard whimpering coming from the dog and prayed that it would be safe from its predator.

"Oh, no," my brother groaned as we reached the end of the hall. "Dead end."

We then heard a growl. I faced the other end of the hall and spotted the creature coming down where we were.

The creature crawled on all fours. Its sharp claws dug in the floor, scraping and leaving ripped marks in the carpet. Its green eyes bulged, and drool escaped from its huge mouth.

The eyes seemed familiar.

Where have I seen them?

Hansel glanced at the left and right sides. No hallways or doors. Just walls.

We were trapped.

My brother and I backed up. Our backs hit the middle wall, and we watched in fear as the creature crept closer. And closer. Until its hairy body was touching our legs.

"My gosh," I whispered.

"This cannot be happening," Hansel said softly.

The creature rose and was now standing on its hind legs. It snarled and pushed my twin down.

"Hansel!" I cried.

The creature roared and grabbed ahold of me. It opened its mouth, and a long, thin tongue appeared. The tongue was pink and made its way to my face.

I whimpered. I could feel the monster's hot breath against my warm body.

I tried keeping myself from gagging. The disgusting tongue licked a side of my face.

"Ew," I moaned, feeling uncomfortable by this. It was gross and unsettling.

The creature pulled its tongue away and forced it back in its mouth where it belonged. It then licked its lips.

I gulped and shook.

Was it going to eat me? Was the licking a taste test? Was it deciding that I was tasty?

The creature raised its pointy ears and opened its gigantic mouth.

Apparently so.

It hoisted me into the air. I screamed and kicked.

"No!" I yelled at the top of my lungs. "I am too young to be eaten! The fans already got to know me and my sibling!" I squirmed. "Our story cannot end like this!"

I kicked one last time. My foot hit the wall - and a beeping sound was heard. A strong gust of wind pulled me and the monster. The creature let go and scurried off.

I did not fall to the floor. Instead, the wind pulled me into a passageway. I fell on a slide and started sliding down.

To where?

I did not know.

"Hansel!" I cried.

"I am right here!"

"Huh?" I looked behind me and spotted Hansel sliding a few inches away.

"Where the heck are we heading?!" Hansel yelled.

"I do not know!" I answered. "Hopefully, we will be outside!"

"But we just got to this house!"

"And were almost eaten by a monster! I was almost eaten by the monster!"

We immediately hit solid ground. I landed on my bottom, and my brother landed on top of me. We groaned and scrambled to our feet.

"Well, that was fun," Hansel commented. "Sliding down that slide."

I rubbed the back of my neck. "At least we are away from that monster. For a while." I looked around. "I hope."

He walked around. "Where are we?"

The place was in darkness. We could not see a thing. Just each other.

"Hmm." Hansel ran a hand through his hair. "I think that we are in some kind of secret room. A hiding place."

I moved my hands along the walls and felt a switch. I flipped the switch, and light suddenly came on.

Next to the slide was a staircase. It reached from the ground to the ceiling and swirled around and around. The floor and walls were grey, and a black door was to the right of us.

In the middle of the room was a brown table and a television set. The television set was on a grey table that had two pairs of wheels. Papers, videotapes, and CDs were scattered on the table.

"Crub," Hansel said. He walked up to the table and picked up a piece of paper. "Do these belong to someone?"

I shrugged. "Maybe."

"Maybe these belong to the boy."

"Hansel, why would he have all this stuff? They are not toys."

"The CDs may be video games."

I shook my head. "I do not think so."

He examined the paper. "Gretel?"

"Yes?"

"What is a Lubriem?"