Chapter Twenty-Eight

Since I had entered the room first, Hansel did not see the knife that the unknown person was holding. But I did.

I had no time to scream and cry for help. I ran up to the person and lunged at him or her. I wrapped my arms around his or her neck. The person, who I realized was a woman, cried out and reacted. She tossed the knife onto the bed, and I felt her trying to pry me off of her. Unfortunately for her, I would not budge.

"Let go!" the woman pleaded.

"No!" I refused and called to my twin. "Hansel! Get a doctor! Get Dr. O'Fallon and tell him to call the police!"

The woman gasped. "Police?!" She finally got ahold of me and threw me to the floor.

"Oof!" I quickly got to my feet. I eyed the doorway and hurried to it. I stood in the doorway. I was now blocking her path. "Not so fast! You are not going anywhere!"

A growl escaped from her throat, and she turned her entire body and frowned at me.

"It was only going to be a minute!" She looked at Hansel, and then back at me and raised her eyebrows. "Who are you? And what the heck are you doing here?"

"That is what I was going to ask you," I said proudly. "We are Katrina's niece and nephew. Her doctor said that we could see her."

The woman placed her hands on her hips and studied us. I admit that she was acting a bit creepy.

"Hmm. Did the doctor say that she is unconscious?" She moved away from the bed and gestured to Aunt Katrina. "I heard that she will be like this for a while."

"Yes. The doctor informed us," Hansel spoke up. He took a step towards her. "Will you now tell me and my sister who you are?"

"And why you were about to kill her?" I said.

The woman became outraged. "Kill her?! I would do no such thing."

I pointed at the knife. "Then why do you have a knife? I saw you aiming it at our aunt!"

She suddenly burst out laughing. I looked at my twin brother. He looked back at me. Both of us were wondering why she was laughing like a lunatic.

Was this woman a psycho? Maybe she should belong in a mental hospital.

"My name is Lena Kristina," she introduced herself as soon as she stopped laughing. "I am a close friend to Miss Murphy. Your aunt." She picked up the knife. "And just for the record..." She also picked up an orange that was lying on the left side of the bed. "...I was not planning on killing her. I would never do that. I am like her best friend." Lena held up the orange and pushed the knife through it. "I am cutting up my orange. "I am hungry."

My stomach started hurting. It was as if there were butterflies inside it. I felt embarrassed that I accused her of wanting to kill our aunt.

"My gosh." I walked away from the doorway and went up to her. The woman had blue hair and wore a blue dress that reached to her knees. She had pale skin and was wearing glittery heels. The heels reminded me of the ones that Aunt Katrina had.

"I am extremely sorry," I apologized. "I saw you with the knife...and I...I..."

Lena smiled and patted the top of my head. "All is forgiven," she said. "It was a misunderstanding. I get it." She grabbed a small stool that was at a corner of the room and scooted it over to the bed. She sat on the stool. "Besides, it would not have helped to call the police. There is no police station in Forlot. There are not even officers patrolling the town."

Hansel and I glanced at each other. We then looked back at her.

"You are probably new to the town," my brother finally spoke. "My sister and I have lived here for a long time."

"Yeah," I agreed. "We have seen police officers all around this town."

Lena's smile immediately faded. She brushed her hair back. "I have been in Forlot for my whole life. I have never seen an officer." She paused and was in her own thoughts. Before Hansel or I had a chance to say a word, she said, "Perhaps because of the monsters. Like the Creature From Beyond."