Chapter Twenty-Seven

We all ended up at the hospital. I had called 911. Nobody answered, so I hung up and called another number. 777. I remembered Katrina telling me that the three sevens were the next numbers that you needed to know if you wanted the ambulance to pick you up. She told me this morning.

The ambulance soon arrived at the apartment. My brother and I stayed with our aunt until two men entered the room. They both wore dark blue uniforms and had name tags that were pinned against the pockets of their shirts.

One of the men ordered us to step away, and we immediately did. He scooped up Katrina and carried her out of the room. His partner examined us and asked who we were. We informed him that we are her niece and nephew. We are family.

"She was doing fine," Hansel explained. "I thought that she just had a headache. She was rubbing her forehead."

"And then...she collapsed," I added. My voice trembled. "She would not move."

The man nodded and grabbed our hands. He ran and led us outside. He said that we could come along for the ride, seeing that we were related to their patient.

Aunt Katrina.

My twin brother and I were so relieved. We really wanted to tag along. We hopped into the back of the ambulance. The man closed the doors behind us and hurried to the driver's side. He opened the car door, got in, and closed the door. The man who carried Katrina was in the back with us and by her. She was lying on a stretcher.

Hansel and I hurried to her side and took her hands into ours.

That all happened a few minutes ago. The two of us were now in the waiting room.

Hansel sat in a chair. He was looking down and kicking his legs back and forth. I, however, could not sit. I could not be still for even a second.

I had both of my hands behind my back and was walking around the chairs. The chairs were arranged in a circle. I could not get dizzy though. I was too worried. Too worried about Katrina.

"Will she be okay?" I asked myself. "I hope that it is nothing severe."

My first theory was that Aunt Katrina had cancer. My and Hansel's mom, Paula, was diagnosed with cancer two years ago. Our mom fought for her life and is now a survivor. She beat cancer.

That is how I came to know the Lord.

Hansel took a deep breath and let it out slowly. He lifted his head and glared at me.

"Sis. You need to sit and relax," he demanded. "Stop being a nervous wreck. Worrying does not help."

As much as I did not want to admit it, he was right. Worrying about what could happen was only making the situation worse. I needed to be calm.

Like him.

I sighed and sat next to him. He forced me to rest my head on his shoulder. I let him, not having the energy to argue, and he held me close. My brother is usually a goofball.

But not at this point in time.

Minutes later, I felt a tap on my shoulder. I spun around. So did Hansel.

A doctor was standing behind us. Behind the chairs. He shoved his hands in his coat pockets.

"Hello," he said. "Allow me to introduce myself. "I am Dr. Hendrick O'Fallon. You can just call me Dr. O'Fallon."

Dr. O'Fallon looked skinny. He wore a lab coat and dark blue pants. He also wore thick, black glasses and black shoes. His hair looked messy.

"H-hi," I spoke. I was still a bit worried about Aunt Katrina. "I am Gretel." I pointed at my twin. "This is Hansel. We are twins."

The doctor chuckled softly and smiled. "Let me guess. Your parents named you two after the fairytale characters."

"Yep," Hansel piped in. "We look like the real Hansel and Gretel."

I forced myself to smile a little. This doctor seemed kind. I had a hunch that he could also be helpful.

"Actually, our writer named us after those fairytale characters," I said. "She thought of us."

Hansel frowned. "Stop breaking the fourth wall. We can do that in book four."

Dr. O'Fallon's smile slowly vanished. "I am Katrina Murphy's doctor. Are you her niece and nephew?"

Both of us nodded. "Yes."

I could feel my whole body shaking. "Is...is she okay?"

He shrugged. His eyes softened. "I do not know yet. I have to do more tests."

I suddenly felt a lump in my throat as I asked this next question. "Does...does she have cancer?"

He shook his head. "You do not need to worry about that. I guarantee that she does not have cancer."

I took deep breaths. I was relieved that Katrina did not have cancer.

So...what was wrong with her?

"Would you like to see your aunt?" Dr. O'Fallon suggested. "She is still unconscious, but I will let you two stay with her for a while."

"Absolutely," Hansel and I said in unison.

We got up, and the doctor led us down the hall. We followed him. He did not say anything else to us. He just pointed to a door and left.

"That was strange," Hansel commented. "He did not even say goodbye."

"He is a doctor," I replied. "He has places to be. Besides, we will see him again. He is Aunt Katrina's doctor."

The door to the room was opened. We walked in...

...and yelled.

There was Aunt Katrina. Lying in a bed.

And there was a person looming over her.

And had a knife in his or her hand.

And aimed the knife at Katrina's chest.