Chapter Thirty-One

"Growling with glee?" Hansel whispered. His whisper was loud enough for me and the creature to hear. "Narrator, I do not believe that is even possible. Who in the world growls while being happy? Not me."

"Hansel!" I whispered.

The creature lowered its head and grunted. Using its claws, it made scraping sounds on the floor. It was impatient.

"When you growl, it usually means that you are upset about a certain something," Hansel continued on with his rant. "I have never met somebody who is filled with happiness that he or she tends to growl about it."

"Bro!" I raised my hand and slapped his face.

"Ow!" He rubbed the side of his face. A red bruise suddenly appeared where I had slapped him. "What was that for?!"

I clenched my hands into tight fists. "I needed you to come back to fictional reality! Somehow!"

He frowned. "You just broke the fourth wall!"

"So did you!"

The creature snorted and jumped up and down. My brother and I did not care.

"When did I break the fourth wall?!" Hansel shot at me.

"Look back at the last chapter!" I shot back. "And you mentioned the narrator at the beginning of this chapter!"

"I was voicing my opinion!"

"You still broke the fourth wall!"

The creature could not take it anymore. It raised its head and roared. My brother and I had to cover our ears. The roar was loud.

Both of our attentions were now on the monster that loomed over us. The creature stopped with the roaring and growled at us.

I bet that it did not take a liking to arguments.

We uncovered our ears. The monster moved towards us. Clenching our teeth, Hansel and I backed away. We felt our backs touch the wall.

Once again, the two of us were trapped.

I surveyed my surroundings. I thought about running. My twin and I could make a run for it.

But we would not get far. The Creature From Beyond was only a few inches away from us.

The monster looked to where I was and leaped.

In front of me.

Sweat poured from both my forehead and palms. My body shook. I could not help it. I tried staying still.

But how could I?

How could I keep my cool when I knew - and saw - that a hideous and scary monster was hunched over me?

"Hey!" Hansel finally exclaimed. "Get away from my sister!" He put his fists up and stood in a fighting stance. "Or else!"

The Creature From Beyond did not even glance at him. It grasped my wrist and shoved him to the ground.

He cried out. "Yah!" He fell down.

I whimpered as the creature lifted me up by my wrist. I waited for it to open its mouth and push me - my entire body - down its throat.

But it did not.

It roared again and threw me across the room.

I screamed and landed on some pots and pans that were scattered all over the entryway. I moaned in pain and quickly got back on my feet.

The monster stayed where it was. It watched me and smirked.

I then felt something weird. Like something was on me. I facepalmed when I realized that a large pot was stuck on my butt.

Hansel thought that it was funny. He took one look at me and burst out laughing.

I looked at him. I could feel my cheeks getting hot.

"Not funny!" I snapped.

"Y-you are right," he managed to say. "It is hilarious!" He laughed even more.

I gripped the handle and tried yanking the pot off. It was no use. The pot was stuck on my butt.

"At least the bullies, Ruby and Karen, are not here to see this," I muttered.

"Who says that we are not?" I heard a voice.

I gasped. The voice was familiar.

All of a sudden, the head of the creature popped off. The head rolled over to me and touched the tips of my shoes. I covered my mouth to keep from gagging.

There was now a hole on top of the furry body. A human head poked out of the hole.

My eyes widened. I recognized the face. "Karen?"

"And Ruby!" I heard another voice. Then I heard a zipping sound.

The creature's body fell to the floor. I saw Ruby holding up Karen.

Karen leapt off Ruby and gave me a creepy smile.

"Hi, Gretel," Ruby greeted. "It is so nice to see you again."