Chapter Fifteen

The following morning, the well-rested girl woke up to find the bed empty. She caught a glimpse of herself in the mirror and giggled. Her hair was a mess, most of her face was riddled with indentations from the crumbled sheet; she looked like a mess and one that left her laughing for a while.

It clicked eventually that she was alone. There was no sign of Marilyn. Her side of the bed was empty and considerably cold. Frowning, Avery couldn't stay confused for long as intrusive scenes from their little sexcapade filled her head. After they'd had their fill of each other, the older woman laid stroking the girl in silence until they fell asleep cuddling.

During the night Avery kept opening her eyes to admire the sleeping woman. She was enamoured of the gentle soul that softly snored in her ears; ecstatic even that their troubled paths had crossed. The sight of Marilyn warmed her heart and she slept with a smile on her face and perhaps had the best sleep she'd ever had in her life. But the fairy tale ended when Avery woke to an empty bed.

With groggy steps, she went in search of her. She made it to the kitchen and then the dining room without seeing any signs of the woman. Finally, she established that she wasn't home. The house was too quiet and she was right reading a note the woman left on her fridge. It stated that she'd gone to meet with her lawyer, Paul and she was set to be back later in the day. She went on to ask if the girl would be kind enough to come back and spend a few more days.

Grinning at the note, Avery fold it in half and held it to her chest. She had no clue what was happening but she was down for it. If Marilyn wanted her to spend a few more days, she had no problem and would gladly come back.

The only thing that stood in her way was work and these days the thought of getting up to clock in at the diner seemed arduous and almost a burden.