Chapter Twenty-Five

His little laugh was melodious, filled with happiness and a childish enthusiasm as he kicked the ball towards Avery. Brandon jumped up and down with excitement as the ball was aimed straight towards her. She giggled gingerly, kicking it back to him and then turning to Marilyn noting her gaze had never left them.

Avery never predicted that there'd be a day where Marilyn would take her to the park with her son and they'd spend the entire day eating junk and having fun yet there they were and it felt great.
As she stole glances at the woman, she saw elation in her eyes and genuine care that warmed her heart. She knew the Marilyn liked her but she'd never seen her regard her that way before and because of that she felt special.

"Brandon sweety, would it be okay if I borrowed Avery for a sec?" She heard the woman say.

Brandon nods, ignoring his mother as soon as Avery kicked the ball back to him. He ran off bouncing it as high as he could. The girl strode over to the bench and sat down beside the older woman.

"How are you feeling?" She asked me as the girl sat and she grinned.

"I feel amazing."

"Really, how so?" She questioned throwing her hand around Avery's waist and pulling her closer.

"Because you've done so much for me today than you have in an entire month and It's made me super happy."

"Mmm. All I did was buy some stuff and bring you out to the park, to me that's just a regular day."

"Yeah for you, but what you've failed to mention is that we're in the park with Brandon, your son. I saw the way John behaved over the thought of me being around him so it's a lot."

"You have no reason to be afraid of John." She whispered to the after leaning forward and placing a kiss on her lips.

"I shouldn't but I am."

"Why are you afraid, you know he can't hurt you right?"

"I'm not afraid of him hurting me,"

"Then what are you afraid of?"

"I don't want to be the cause of him having full custody of Brandon," Avery whispered and Marilyn nods before staring out to her son. He was too busy with the ball to pay them any attention.

"I've already lost that battle the moment John and I got divorced," Marilyn confided, shocking the girl.

"Why would you say that?"

"Because John is going to try everything possible to make sure that I don't get to keep Brandon and I've accepted that ever since."

"That's not true, you'll win," Avery said with confidence but it did nothing to quell the woman's worries. All she did was plant another kiss on me but on my cheek.

"It's not your fault, nor you don't need to worry," Marilyn replied searching deep into the girl's soul as she said those words and Avery couldn't help but feel like she was the final straw in their situation. Despite what Marilyn said she kept her concerns and thought of how she was affecting the woman just by being around her. And that the thought that she kept her around, risking everything left her emotional.