Chapter Nineteen

Avery left for work without saying a word, resulting in Marilyn showing up to the diner in the hopes of explaining herself. The woman couldn't be annoyed, if she were the girl she probably would've done the same; what else could she have done in that situation except flee from it?

John's attitude was insufferable time and time again, only recently she understood how crazy the man was. He projected all of his shortcomings and vices onto her. The only fucked up person between them had been him, thinking he was all mighty and powerful to ruin someone's life all because he couldn't handle rejection.

Stepping into the diner, Marilyn quickly scoped the run-down establishment hoping to find Avery. She did eventually and crawled into a table observing the oblivious girl.

She stood a reasonable distance away from a table, her face solemn as she took the women's order. 

Something pulled on the woman's heart realizing the encounter certainly ruined the girl's day. Avery wasn't her bubbly, enthusiastic self but moving around on autopilot. She understood the mood change and probably the shame that came with the argument, John said some truly atrocious things about the girl despite not knowing a thing about her. The man was going to pay one way or the other.

Flipping through a menu that sat on the table, Marilyn debated whether to have lunch there or not. She didn't particularly like the food but would only order something just so she could talk to Avery and give her a big tip at the end.

"Hi," a quiet voice interrupts the woman's thoughts. She hadn't realized she'd spaced out staring at the burger choices on the menu.
When she'd looked up into the girl's face she smiled, pushing the menu to the side.

"Hey,"

"Are you going to order anything?"

"Yes and I already know what I want too," answered Marilyn. There was a moment's silence between them until she sneakily grabbed Avery's hand.

"I'd like to apologise for today,"

"The things John said about you and me were nothing but ignorance and hatred. He's used to getting things his way and now that he isn't the world and him are at war."

"The things he said about me specifically aren't even close to who and what I am and I'm sorry you were there having to experience that. I had hoped you'd never run into him at all but..." the woman trailed off.

"Your relationship is complicated and I understand that. It's apparent whose the problem between you two but what I can't seem to forget was his choice of words. What things are you into that's so foreign to him?"

"You remember the room I showed you on that tour the first time you came around? Well, it's not there as an ornament or for a show but it is an extension of what I am. I use that room to act out on fantasies and particular kinks."

"I'm aware, but why is it such a big deal with him, isn't it your personal life?"

"That's the thing, initially that room and everything in it belonged to the both of us. John and I were like a team, we had experiences together in there that could never be forgotten. He's angry now because the things that started in there were the ones to end our relationship."

"Someone came between you guys?"

Marilyn nods. She tried not to think too much about the loss of what she had with Belle because the grief was too much. She loved the girl and even to that day she would drop everything in her life just to be able to hold her for one night.

"The detail's too much to discuss here, what time will you get off?"

"The usual time,"

"Then I'll come back at six-ish and we'll talk about it."

"Okay. And you promise to share everything? I want to know why John's such a grouch."

"I promise to share as much as it takes for you to understand what's happening between us,"

Nodding, Avery pulled out her note pad and pencil. "Alright, so can I get you anything or did you come here to stare at me while I worked?"

"How about a glass of orange juice?"

The girl chuckled. Rolling her eyes, she backed away from the table.