31. Interrogation- part 1

"Brett! Come here please!" I yelled out to Brett, making him come running into the kitchen. "What?" he asked, as if the house was burning on fire. "My parents, they love each other." I told him bluntly. He looked at me confused. "Aren't they getting divorced?" he spoke. I smiled. "Not if I have anything to do about it."

Brett placed his hands on his hips. "Babe, you have to let things be. It's just the way.." he went to say but I cut him off. "Don't you dare say 'its' just the way life is.' No. They do love each other Brett, please listen to me." I pleaded with him. He shook his head and looked directly into my eyes. "Ok, I'll believe you."

I breathed out, I knew he would. Brett was just like that. So caring, and so nice. I'll never get over it, that I have a perfect man like that. He smiled and that made me blush. "So you see. I was talking to mom earlier and she was saying that she loved him but he didn't love her. Dad THEN called saying that he loved her and she didn't love him. coincidence? I think not." I spoke really quickly. Brett just stood there , taking it all in.

"They haven't spoken to each other, yet?" he asked. I shrugged. "They refuse to." he shook his head.

"They both love each other, even though they are getting a divorce."

"It makes to sense."

"Sounds like a really bid misunderstanding."

"We need to get to the bottom of this."

"But how?"

"I don't know, but we need to fix my mom and dad's love story."

*****

I step outside and I call dad. I understand that he just called and spilled his guts out. However, I need to know somethings. I dialled his numbered and waited for him to answer.

"Cameron Smith, speaking." He spoke. I choked down a laugh. "Cameron? Nice to meet you." I joked. I heard him chuckled softly. "Cara, honey. How may I assist you. I breathed out. "You don't have to be so formal with me dad.
I'm not your boss." I told him, and he just laughed again.

"Okay honey, what do you need?"

"Much better. I need to know who you were out with that night."

"Do you really need to know?"

"It's important, dad."

"Important?"

"To me dad. To me."

He was giving me the silent treatment now. I waited for a good five minutes before I checked to see if he was still there.

"Dad?"

"Yeah. There was Bill, Loyd, Brian, Howard, and Adam. I'll send you their phone numbers, because I know your going to ask for them too."

"Thanks."

"Not a problem, but please bring someone with you."

"I'm bring Brett."

"Brett Anderson. He's a good man. Treats you well."

I blushed, then looked over at Brett. He was smiling devilishly. He heard. "Yeah, he does." I told dad, then I turned around so Brett couldn't see my blood red face.

"Yeah, I'm got somethings to do."

"Like what, honey?"

"Just some things dad, you'll know soon enough."

"Yeah."

"When is the divorce final?" I asked bluntly.

He exhaled loudly. "A week from now."

Seven days? That's all I have left to prove that they still love each other. Not enough time! Not enough time! There's no way I can make them see that they still have feelings. No way! They won't even look at each other, let along TALK to each other! I'm going have to work extremely hard.

"Thanks dad."

"No problem honey."

"I love you."

"I love you too. Forever and always."

"Forever and ever."

Then we clicked off. "Come on Brett. We got some detective work to do." I grabbed hold of his hand and dragged him along with me. "I like it when you get assertive like this. It makes you look hot." He spoke, and I tried to hide my amusement. Then we ran out the door.

*****

-Bill
-Loyd
-Brian
-Howard
-Adam

I was going to interrogate them. All of them. First on the list, AKA the first one we called... Bill.

We went into a diner. Not the same one me and Katie were at. A different one. I sat right across from a older, weary man. He barely had any hair, and the ones that he had were grey. His eyes were heavy looking, and his beard was scruffy. Not very appealing, and doesn't look like much fun. He looked like a very grumpy grandpa, but I shouldn't judge him on his appearance.

"Hi Bill. I know your a friend of my fathers. Cameron smith." I told him,
I held my hand out to shake but he refused.

"Your wasting my 'wheel of fortune' time. Make this quick." He snapped.

"Sorry, but do you know if you had anything to do with my dad's phone, and my mother?" I asked, trying to get straight to the point. He looked at me confused. "No, I just know that I watched Loyd leave with it. He was going to go give it to Cameron, if that helps any..." He spoke, his tone had softened.

"Thank your for your time." I told him, and then I reached for his hand a second time. This time he shook my hand. "Your a nice young lady, straight to the point. I admire it." Then he got up and left before I could compliment him back. I looked at Brett and he shrugged his shoulders and spoke.

"I guess he really likes wheel of fortune."