Chapter 25: Adoption

"But I don't wanna go with them!" Jenny shouted defiantly.

Elizabeth looked at the young girl with a sad expression. She sighed deeply. "I know Jen, but these people are very wealthy, they'll take really good care of you. You're gonna be fine."

The little girl pouted. "But what about you? You gonna be all by yourself!" 

The final days were up and now Jenny was going to become the newest member of the Holmes family. Steven and Maria Holmes were quite well-known in Rapture as one of the wealthiest people in the city. Henry had not come by for an entire week and now his time was up. 

Elizabeth did her best to fight back tears. "I...I'll be okay Jen, they say I can come visit you every day."

Jenny screamed at her. "You promised we'd stick together. You said we are sisters forever!"

 "Jen...I know but-"

"No! You said you'd never leave me. Never let me go! But now I gotta go, they're gonna take me away!" 

Sophie, the assistant matron, entered the room. "Jennifer dear, the Holmes are here. It's time to say goodbye."

Jenny looked at Elizabeth, her eyes were filled with sadness. "Lizzy, I'm sorry I yelled at you. Don't let them take me. I don't wanna live with them."

Elizabeth brought the small girl in close and squeezed her tightly. "It's gonna be okay Jen. You're going with nice people. They'll take real good care of you. You'll have a great life. You listen up okay? You stay strong for me, be a good girl and I'll come visit you every day."

 Jenny lowered her head a little. "Okay, I promise I'll be good." she sighed. "Bye Lizzy." 

Elizabeth watched as the small young girl walk out with her teddy and disappeared behind the corner. Left alone in the room the older girl fell to her knees shaking. She let the tears run freely. "I'm so sorry." she whispered.

"Oh there she is, oh Steven just look at how precious she is!" Maria Holmes remarked as the little girl walked out into the lobby to greet her new parents. 

Jenny looked at the tall man and woman. The man was dressed in a fine black business suit with a hat to match. He had a stern yet cocky look about him, as if he owned the place. The woman she did not like at all. The lady's face was powdered white with make-up and her lips were a dull red. She wore a white fur coat made from all sorts of animals. 

"Yes dear she's quite the princess isn't she." Steven Holmes said with feigned interest.

Sophie Quinn brought the wealthy couple over to a large table at the end of the lobby. "Now if you two will sign at the bottom of the contract you'll be well on your way as a new family. You'll see I've already filled in my own signature, only Margret's signature will be needed after."

Jenny looked at the matron of the Apollo Sanctuary sitting on a wooden stool in the corner. Her arms crossed, a cigarette in her hand. She was not pleased about this adoption ordeal. 

Sophie had a big grin on her face as the Holmes signed the large sheet of paper. "Perfect, now if we can just get the head matron's signature you can be on your way!" she said cheerfully. 

Margret rose from the stool and reluctantly headed over to the table. She sighed deeply as Sophie handed her a pen.

"Stop right there Margret." a familiar voice called.

Everyone lifted there heads to look at the entrance of the orphanage, including Jenny.

In the doorway stood a man. His left arm was in a sling, his right leg bandaged. A crutch was held to keep himself steady. One of his eyes was also covered in gauze, and his nose was more crooked than ever. He slowly limped into the room.