chapter two / auditions

As Anne approached the plain wooden door of the Avonlea school, she began to have that same gut feeling of unfamiliarity. She hadn't prepared for this audition, as they were only being given the scrips when they went up in front of the class (mostly so no one child is too prepared). However this wasn't going to stop her.

She walked inside. The sounds of all her classmates screaming and laughing were a sudden wake in the face. She put her hat on the rack and began slowly pacing to where her friends were.

"Anne!" Diana, Anne's bosom friend exclaimed. "It's so good to see you!"

She charged over to her dear Anne, who was just as ecstatic to see her as she was. Following Diana where the other members of their friend group, Ruby Gillis, Jane Andrews, Tillie Boutler and the ever so happy Josie Pye who had only just stood before the whole group came back to their spot.

"Isn't it ever so exciting." Diana stated. "This is the first time since the pantomime that we get to act in front of a crowd."

"Who would even want to do this as a play" Josie snarked. This comment left all the girls in the group annoyed, yet only Anne had the courage to snap back.

"I know I would, it's such a tragedy of a story. Two people who can't  fall in love end up falling in love." Anne stopped herself for the briefest second. This sounds all too familiar she though, but then continued on.  "Then the families find out and are outraged a-"

Josie interrupted. "Do you ever stop talking. I am well aware of what the story is about!"

"Oh I am sorry Josie, I can't help myself." Anne apologetically laughed.

"Well I am definitely going to try out as Juliet." Ruby shyly proclaimed. "This might finally be my time to kiss Gilbert!"

Anne's eyes darted towards Ruby unintentionally. Diana noticed this, but said nothing, as a smile began to creep onto her face. Anne saw this, but chose to ignore it.

"How do you know Gilbert is even going for the role of Romeo?" Tillie questioned.

"I agree, look around Ruby. He isn't even here." Jane added.

"If Gilbert doesn't arrive before class begins I will not go for the role then." Ruby finished with a clear tone of annoyance in her voice. All the girls knew Ruby would see the statement through. She has only ever loved Gilbert Blythe and would do anything that he is interested in.

For some reason, the name Gilbert Blythe gave Anne a unfamiliar feeling deep within her stomach. She perceived it to be hatred and annoyance toward the handsome yet intelligent boy, but subconsciously, she knew it was something more.

Ever since their encounter after Mary and Sebastion's wedding, Anne couldn't stop thinking about him, and this annoyed her even more.

"Alright class." Miss Stacey came from the storage room at the front of the class, with the biggest smile plastered against her face. "Move the desks, the auditions are about to begin!"

Everyone obeyed her, as they all respected, yet admired her. Both the boys and the girls were excited for this play, each gender for their own reasons. They sat down hastefully, and silently awaited for further instructions.

Anne began to look around the classroom, not for anything in particular. She realised she was looking for Gilbert, who wasn't present at the current time. This saddened Anne for a millisecond, then she shook her head and faced Miss Stacey. Why would it matter if Gilbert Blythe is here? Anne thought to herself, embarrassed at the mere thought of him.

"Ok class."

Miss Stacey spoke with a tone of seriousness in her voice, as even though this was a play, it did have to be taken seriously.