The Happiness Adds On - Part 1

I hope you guys enjoy my story.

"urrggghh", I groaned as the warm sunshine hit my face. Was it morning already? I felt so restless.

I felt my pillow wet. Again. I need to stop this. It's been 11 years. I can't believe I still let myself cry over him even after all these years. I can't believe I still think of him in my dreams. I need to control myself and my emotions. I need to find hope again. I need to forget him. I need to....

"SAMAIRA", called my mom. My mom. She's an amazing single mother. She's provided me with everything I needed. Her husband left her when I was 5 for a plastic, fake, caked and stuck-up model. No! He is not my father. I do not have a father. Hence that, my beautiful Punjabi mom brought me to New York to raise an independent daughter.

Here I am. An independent 28 year old, living in New York with her whiney mother. I tend to be a happy person with a best friend, a mother, a job and an unforgettable past.

—-

"Beta (my child) please. Anu aunty said he is a very well established gentleman. He has his own law office, is a good lawyer and is from a very good family. He doesn't drink or smoke. He's very family orientated and will provide you with an excellent life.", my mom begged in her typical Indian accent.

"Really mumma. He sounds perfect. Why don't you marry him? I'm sure he'll provide you with an excellent life.", I said mimicking her. I buttered my toast and poured a glass of orange juice for myself. Fixing my dress, I sat down beside her on the couch.

"Samaira. I only want your happiness. Just tell me when you are ready. But beta, you need to find happiness. I have never asked you about it but please don't let your past affect you. I know behind that beautiful smile is a lot of hidden pain." Her words brought tears to my eyes. I had to leave. Now. Before she saw me in this state. I put my untouched breakfast on the kitchen counter. Quickly wiped my tears away. "Mumma, I'm running late and I need to meet Navs before work. I'll come home before dinner and I'll ask Navs to grab me a bit. Please don't forget to take your medicine and I will call Dr. Nanar to confirm your appointment for tomorrow. Remember Ankita masi (aunt) will come to pick you up for the event at 11. Don't be late please or she'll yell at me again. Bye. I love you." I said as I grabbed my purse, the laptop bag, and the car keys. I put on black heels to match my outfit and left. One more second in that house and I would have broken down.

—-

I settled down at a table, putting my purse on the chair beside. Where is Navs? Navs is my best friend. I've known her since grade 8 and we've been inseparable ever since. She knows my story inside out and doesn't even wait for an answer to tell how I'm feeling. I picked up the menu and looked out the window.

"Sorry babes. I couldn't find parking and was running late this morning. You know how stressful wedding planning is for me. Last night, I came home from the designer fitting at 11pm and then I had to deal with the catering mess and don't even get me started on my parents." She got settled into her seat and fixed her hair. She took out her phone and placed some wedding planning books on the table. She ordered coffee for the both of us. "They think I'm doing everything wrong. Like hello, I love you and all but this is my wedding. And Jeet. On top of everything, he just wants to hang out and spend more time with me. He doesn't help me with any planning. But, it's okay I still love him. And like I'm stressing out with the wedding only 2 weeks away." I loved when she went on about her life. I just wanted her happy and nothing else mattered. I just smiled while listening to her and took a sip of my coffee. "And guess what happened? I totally couldn't believe it but.....Shit! Not again. I'm so sorry Sam. I just kept babbling on, I didn't realize that look on your face. Why are you still thinking about him?"