Chapter 6. Kat

Kat woke up the next morning, very sore and tired. She slept for only a few minutes that night. She ingored the pain as she got up and got dressed. She put on a white t-shirt and red skinny jeans.
She brushed her fiery red hair and bangs. While she brushed her hair, she noticed it was singed.
"Great," she said sarcastically as she got the sciccors and cut her hair shoulder length.

When she arrived at Noah's, the first thing she noticed was how dark it was. No one was up. Well that would have to change. Kat knocked on the door and a bright-eyed Marissa answered.
"Oh, hello! You're here to see Noah, I guess. He's still asleep, but you can go up to his room for a little... snooping? I hear he's got a big secret. I wanna know what it is. Anyways, if you find anything, tell me." Marissa giggled. "Mom won't find out. I promise. The-" Kat shoved her hand over Marissa's mouth. Geez that girl could talk!
"Ok." She walked upstairs. Noah's bedroom was the last door. It was closed. Kat knocked quietly. No answer.
"Alright," she breathed. She opened the door, walked in and closed it quietly behind her. "Noah?" The bed was made and it looked as if no one slept in it that night. Kat walked around the bed and jumped when she saw Noah laying on the floor, surrounded by dozens of blankets.
"Noah? Noah," She whispered and nudged him with her foot. He jerked awake and looked around.
"Huh?"
"It's just me." Kat shivered. She grabbed a blanket and wrapped it around herself.
"Kat?" Noah seemed confused.
"Yes," Kat searched Noah's eyes but they only had confusion in them.
"I- where am I?"
"Noah you're at home."
"But-"
"Noah why are you in the floor?"
"I don't- I'm not- I-" Noah shivered too. He grabbed another blanket and wrapped it around himself. "It's cold in here."
"I know."
"Why?"
"Noah this is your room not mine."
"Right."
"Are you ok? You're acting... off."
"Mmm? Oh yeah, I'm fine. I'm just cold." Noah walked over to the thermostat and dialed it way up. "Why was my temperature set to fifty five degrees?"
"I have no idea."
"Kat?"
"Mmmm?"
"I think we have something to get straight."
"I- you're right." Kat sighed. She hung her head.
"Kat, about Jayla. I never meant to hurt you. I was just-"
"Jayla's gone." Kat sighed.
"What?"
"Gone. Dead. Deceased. She died in a car accident. I've just been so tense lately after it happened. It was just the worst-" Kat's voice cracked. "-day of m- my life. L-losing her. It- she- my-" Kat burst into tears. She hung her head. Then, she felt arms around her. She looked up. Kat chocked back a sob as she rested her head on Noah's shoulder.
"I'm sorry."
"No don't. It wasn't your falt-t."
"Shhh..." Noah stroked her hair. "Did you cut your hair," he whispered. Kat nodded. "I like it. It suits you." Kat smiled and relaxed. She felt safe in Noah's arms. She felt her eyelids droop. She yawned. Noah laughed quietly. "Tired are we?"
"Yeah."
"Well, Kat, you had all night."
"I couldn't sleep. My bed was uncomfortable.
"Excuses, excuses. Kat your bed is 100 percent comfy, 0 percent anything else."
"Fine. I didn't sleep in my bed. My grandma did. I was supposed to sleep in Jay-Jayla's room. But it wasn't- I couldn't. When I left your house, I went to a motel. I was up all night stressing about everything and the fact that there were cockroaches in the room." Kat laughed nervously. She closed her eyes. Her head started to fall. She didn't catch it. She let herself slide into Noah's grip. And let sleep come.

"Hey Kyle."
"Why are you whispering?"
"Shh! Kat's asleep."
"Oh, great. First you, now her. We should wake her."
"No she didn't sleep at all last night."
"Fine. But we have important things to discuss."
"I know."
"Good."

"Oh, Al. Your here."
"Yep. Where's Kat?"
"On Noah's bed, sleeping."
"What?"
"Apparently she didn't sleep last night."
"Oh."
"So we need to whisper."
"Alright."

Kat opened her eyes. Noah, Kyle, and Al were all sitting at Noah's table. They seemed to be doing homework. What day was it? Wednesday! Kat had missed the exam at school! She sat up, groggily. She rolled onto the floor and grunted. "Ouch."
"Hello, sleepyhead." Noah helped her up.
"How long-?"
"Almost 24 hours." Noah smiled. "How are you feeling?"
"Way better than yesterday."
"Good. You deserved that."
"Thanks. I guess I needed it. That was the first time I slept since the Cave."
"Well, you missed Mr. Z's exam." Kyle looked up from his work. "But we told him about how tired you were and how we couldn't wake you up. So, he gave us your exam. It's due tomorrow." Kyle held out a stack of papers to Kat.
"Oh, alright." Kat took the papers and began working.

"Uh, Noah."
"Yeah?"
"Can you help me with question 87?"
"Sure. Ok well what do you think?"
"I have no idea. I just know it's not C."
"But it's also not A. Or B."
"How?"

"Aaaaand.. D. Done!" Kat looked up. Her eyes hurt from looking down. She took her glasses off and looked around. "Noah?" She heard the sound of pages fluttering and looked behind her where Noah lay flat on his back,  book on his face. Kat laughed. She grabbed the book off of him. "What is Noah Johnson reading?" She said to herself. "Ooh, Harry Potter. Must've hurt." She giggled at her own joke.
"Alright, Noah. Time to get up!" She pushed Noah.
"Wha-?" Noah saw Kat. "Oh. Sorry. I was on my phone and I was waiting for you to need help and then I just got bored. So i got a book and started reading but I hate reading so it got boring and I just fell asleep. Sorry."
"It's fine. I only needed help a couple times. But I figured them out pretty fast."
"Good." Noah looked at Kat. "Kat. Kat Black." He seemed to be talking to himself. He chuckled and smiled.
"Um- wha-?" But her question was answered.
"Oh, Kat. I love you." And then he was kissing her.