Chapter Nine: Blackened

They're real. This isn't a dream. I can smell them, I can touch them, I can feel their arms tightening around me. They're really here. My dad kisses my forehead multiple times as my mother sobs into my shoulder. I chuckle, wiping tears off of my face. We pull away and stare at each other. I can't stop smiling, having not been this happy in way too long.

        "How are you guys... We buried you. How are you here?" I ask, wiping more tears and smiling as I talk. I keep glancing from my mother to my father, back to my mother. It doesn't seem real, but it is. They are standing right there in front of me, my dad's arm around my mother, my mother's hands folded in front of her. Shoot to Thrill ends and I hug them again.

        "Well it's kinda confusing..." my mom says to me. I take in her voice, having been too deprived of it for the past 5 months.

        "Oh Pepper come on. You saw that suit she was wearing. That was something that I can only dream to build. I think she will be able to handle this." my dad says, playfully hitting my arm with the back of his hand.

        "Well are you going to tell me or not?" I ask, urging them to give me all the details.

        "Well there's this drug called GH325. It jump starts some vigorous cellular regeneration and repairs your body. So yeah. It's the whole reason why we are here today." my dad explains. I nod.

        "So you understand that?" my mom asks.

        "Yes I understand that. I've learned a lot these past 5 months." I say, looking at both of them. My mom smiles at me.

        "Okay well I need to talk to Steve if I may," she says, walking over to Steve and greeting him with a hug. I turn my attention back to my dad who smiles brightly at me. He shakes his head at me, his smile still sure and strong across his face. He grabs both of my wrists and I wince, pulling my left wrist from his grasp.

        "What? What's wrong?" he asks, his face quickly going from happy to concerned. I shake my head.

        "It's nothing-"

        "Jet Alice Stark. You are lying straight to my face. What's wrong?" he demands. Damn it. He was always very good with detecting my lies. I take a shaky breath and put my left arm out in front of me, my palm facing up. He glances down at it, moving the sweatshirt sleeve up to my bicep. He runs his hands over the cuts and I wince again. I wave of guilt passes over me.        

        "I'm so sorry dad. I know I promised you and I know that you hated me doing this but last night was just really bad and I understand if your mad at me or-" He pulls me into a tight hug and I wrap my arms around him, never wanting to leave his grasp. He kisses my cheek multiple times.

        "Why would I be mad? Jet it's okay. I mean sure I'm a little angry that you would hurt yourself but I'm not disappointed in you or anything. I mean I know you're like Iron Man now but you don't have to be strong like iron."

        "Ha. Ha. You are so punny dad."

        "Yep. I know. But Jet, I'm here now and I don't plan on dying again any time soon so..." I smile at him and roll my eyes.        

        "I don't really think that's up to you." I say.

        "Yeah, yeah, yeah whatever. Hey, what's that on your finger?" he asks, grabbing my left hand and staring at it. "Are you engaged?!" he exclaims, turning my hand over in his. I smile and nod. "HELL NO! No this doesn't fly well with me! Who?!"