Chapter Seventeen: Harvester of Sorrow

Steve's POV

        "I won't see you tonight...." she replies weakly.

        "Jet! Jet what's wrong?! What do you mean?!" I yell into the phone, panic and fear rushing through me. The line cuts dead, a series of beeps in my ear. I stand there shell shocked, my heart racing. The thin phone slips from my grasp, falling from my ear to the floor. My breathing becomes quicker with each passing second. It takes a loud and urgent pounding on our front door to snap me back into reality. I rush to it, leaving my phone on the floor. I open the door to find Stark.

        "Where is she?!" he asks, panic written all across his face and body.

        "I don't know! I called her and she and I fought about this whole shit storm and then there was a lot of tire screeching and yelling and then she was okay but then she dropped the phone again and there was a pretty large impact sound and the line cut off and..."

        "Where is she though?!"

        "The hell if I know! Where ever the hell you pushed her away to!"

        "So this is all my fault Rogers?"

        "Yes! If you would have just told her from early on, none of this would have happened!"

        "You could have told her! I trusted you enough to make sure that she got that letter and knew my final dying wishes. You could have told her right then and there, on the spot!"

        "Oh yeah, because being all like 'Hey Jet, I know your parents just died and all, but you're also adopted and your whole life is a lie' would have been the best thing to tell a girl who already wanted to kill herself."

        "You can't blame this all on me Rogers."

        "Yes I can Stark! Not only did you keep that hidden from her but you also just decided to get Pepper knocked up while you two were hiding after Coulson brought you back to life! Did you even think about what that would do to Jet?"

        "Well... I-"

        "No. You didn't. So save this shit talk that you're saying and listen up. I can pin this all on you because that's the truth. Jet deserved to know. Did you ever stop to think about her? About what she would want? No. You didn't. You only thought of yourself. Because you are a selfish man Stark. I thought you changed, but maybe you didn't. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go find her. She needs me."        

        "No she doesn't. She was functioning perfectly fine without you before. You're nothing but a teddy bear to her."

        "No. You're wrong Stark. I more than that. I held her up when you weren't there. When you were letting her live in a pool of lies. I dried her tears, I made her laugh and smile, I made her remember when she got back from Hydra, I was there for her. Something that you never were."

        "I was always there for he-"

        "Then explain the scars on her stomach." Tony stands with his jaw dropped. "Now, if you will excuse me, I'm finding my wife." I use this as time to push past him, grabbing my shield from beside the door. Tony stops me, grabbing my bicep with his hand.

        "She's not your wife yet." Tony spits, his eyes locked on mine and filled with rage.

        "And she's not your daughter." I spit back, shaking my arm from his grasp and taking off through the halls. He yells after me but I can tell that he isn't following me. I push past agents, trying to get to the garage quickly. I press on my communication device located in my ear and open a line to all of the Avengers. "Coulson, we have a huge problem."