Chapter Ten: The Unforgiven II

I bite my lip and look down to my side. Damn it, damn it, damn it!

        "Jet, what is going on? Why are you crying? What is this about Hydra?" my dad asks, advancing toward me.

        "Dad it's nothing. Hydra is just who we are up against and when I fight, I get into this mindset that everyone calls the Hydra version of me. They say that because I kinda turn into an assassin version of myself." I say in a steady and believable voice. My dad narrows his eyes at me, studying my face. I keep my eyes locked on him, not blinking or looking away. If I did, that would let him know that I am lying straight to his face.

        "Is she lying Captain?" my dad asks, taking his gaze off of mine. I swallow the lump in my throat and use the break to compose myself.

        "No sir." Steve says in a authoritative voice. Pressure melts off my shoulders, a sigh of relief escaping my lips. My dad whips his attention back to me at the sound of my sigh and narrows his eyes at me.

        "What?" I ask, tension forming in my chest under his icy glare. He looks as if he can see right through me and my lie.

        "You better be telling me the truth Jet. If you're not, I will find out. You know this." my dad says to me, focusing his eyes on me.

        "Yeah, I know dad." I respond.

        "Okay. Well, your mother and I are having our usual movie night tonight. Do you guys want to join us?" my dad asks, calming down.

        "Sure. Sounds like fun." I say to him, smiling. He nods and turns to walk back to his apartment. I make sure that he's out of ear shot and let out a huge breath. I lean up against the wall behind me and lay my head back. The stale lighting burns my eyes, so I close them.

        "Jet, he's going to find out. And when he does-" I open my eyes and stare at Steve. He stops talking and stares back at me. I push off the wall and start walking towards our apartment.

        "Yeah, I know Steve. You have only told me that like 30 million times." I say in a bitter tone.

        "I don't think it's been that many times. Maybe only like once." he argues back. I stop abruptly and glance at Steve. He shrugs his shoulders and keeps walking.

        "Hey!" I yell at him, jogging to catch up to his quick pace. He stops and turns to me. "Are you mad at me?" I ask him, grabbing his wrists.

        "No I'm not mad..." he says distantly.

        "Steve what's wrong?" I question, getting more and more worried with every passing millisecond. He sighs and rubs his face.

        "You cause me so much stress." he says, chuckling slightly at the end of his sentence. I bite my lip and take a few steps away from him. Jaylinn was right. Steve looks up from his hands, his smile dropping from his face. "No Jet, I didn't mean it like that. I meant-" he back pedals. I shake my head and take a few more steps backward. Agents walk in the space between us, not paying any attention to our little war. "Jet-" I turn and sprint off in the opposite direction of him, using the thick crowd of agents to my advantage. Anxiety surges inside of me, warning me of the on coming anxiety attack. I force myself to focus on my breathing as I run to where ever my feet take me. I come up to a dead end and slide into a stop. I look around me, no doors or exits anywhere. I curse under my breath as Steve stops next to me.

        "Jet." he says, slightly out of breath. Of course he's not panting and basically dying like me. He's Captain Fucking America. My sprint is probably a subtle jog to him. "Jet." He wraps me in his arms, kissing the top of my head. I leave my arms at my side, my body shaking with anxiety. "Jet, please," Steve begs. I sigh and wrap my arms around him. "That's not what I meant. You, you just took it the wrong way." I push away from his chest and cross my arms across my chest. "Gah, no I didn't mean it like that..." I raise my eyebrows and cock my head. "No I meant that you give me stress and can be sensitive sometimes- GAH!" I bite my lip and furrow my eyebrows. "Jet, I love you even though you stress me ou- ugh!!"